A discussion about the different varieties of Bobwhite Quail

oldguy

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Please share what you know about the different kinds of bobwhites. I'm new to quail and will just list a few of the varieties i see spoken of and please tell me about their characteristics.

1) which kind is easiest to raise
2) which kind grows the largest
3) which kind is the heartiest / most likely to survive if released
4) can all types fly well
5) what other pertinent distinguishing characteristics among kinds

Georiga Giant Bobwhites
Butler Bobwhites
Northern Bobwhites

what other kinds ?

Thanks
oldguy

I personally never seen much difference between them, they are basically all the same except size wise, including other color mutations of the bobwhite.
The regular northern bobwhite, white and other color mutation versions of the bobwhite may be a bit more restless if anything compared to the larger sized bobwhite.
They will all pick, fight, burst into flight if the right condition are met..

however once good condition are met with them and they learn to trust you, you may be able to handle them as well fairly easily, some of ours will take food right from your hand but that is about as far as i went with them.
if i need to inspect one for any reason or band them, we will use a small gold fish type net to capture them in there pens.

From what we've raised the butlers appear to be the larger version, but there are other folks who say no that Georgia giant or Wisconsin are larger. they probably are all from the same line in the end.
however to keep them large one must select and breed specifically for the biggest birds..If you do not select, size will be compromised ultimately in the end.

~Wilds~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom