A dog that can live with chickens

Thank you a lot again, you're helping me to clarify lot of things!:wee
This dog won't be a chicken dog all the time: in fact he will remain for the most of the time at home or in the garden (we'll make a good fence). So, I just wanted a dog that could stay some time with chickens without eating them if, for some reasons, they come around him. I think that they will stay with chickens especially when i'm there, so i can train or control him.

I wanted to ask you about another breed that i read it's good with chickens: the Welsh Corgi. I love them 😍 What do you think about them?:confused:
I love Corgis too but they are still herders so will still need training and exercise and have some herding tendencies, possibly nippy, but then again Labs can be mouthy too so it shouldn’t be too bad and both can be trained. A corgi would also probably be easier than a border collie so I think they could be a good fit too if you wanted one! They can be stubborn though 😂

Sheltie are very cute too!!!
Thabk you! i have to think a bit, then i'll let you know if I have other questions or if i decided! :love

Hi all 😍
We will probably take a puppy dog at the beginning of 2022 and I'm so excited about it! :jumpy
I have 4 chickens that i love so much and that i absolutely don't want to cause danger for them: so i'd like a type of dog who i can easily teach to not hurt them. I'm searching for a small or middle dog. I'd like a lot to adopt an half breed dog, but i want to keep my chickens super safe so i think that it's better to buy a breed dog with clear personality traits...
Can you suggest me some breeds that are this type of dog? thank you so much 🌸🌸🌸
I have a rough Collie and he is amazing! He tolerates cats rabbits and chickens too ( didn't try any other animals). Also, he is great with kids. We only had rabbits at the time we bought him. So he was in adulthood when we brought new animals. He doesn't take much interest in chickens.

Last edited:
An
Hi all 😍
We will probably take a puppy dog at the beginning of 2022 and I'm so excited about it! :jumpy
I have 4 chickens that i love so much and that i absolutely don't want to cause danger for them: so i'd like a type of dog who i can easily teach to not hurt them. I'm searching for a small or middle dog. I'd like a lot to adopt an half breed dog, but i want to keep my chickens super safe so i think that it's better to buy a breed dog with clear personality traits...
Can you suggest me some breeds that are this type of dog? thank you so much 🌸🌸🌸
Any dog can be raised with chickens I’d say if your getting a new dog do much more research on the actual care of the dog and what breeds your capable to take care of rather than what suits your chickens the best all dogs can go with chickens just as long as you know what to do this is when you focus on the dog

An

Any dog can be raised with chickens I’d say if your getting a new dog do much more research on the actual care of the dog and what breeds your capable to take care of rather than what suits your chickens the best all dogs can go with chickens just as long as you know what to do this is when you focus on the dog
We got our chickens when we already had our dogs a lab and WL gsd it’s all about time and training also make your you research the right breeders

PXL_20210923_124509279.MP~2.jpg

This is Sammy, our 3 yo Sheltie. We also have Gracie, an 11-yo Sheltie. Although only about knee-high, Gracie has single-handedly chased off three coyotes off the property at one time, and has been the reason we've been able to free-range our chickens for ten years. The dogs would never hurt the chickens, and Gracie has been known to bring us eggs she's found when the EEs decide to hide a nest - without ever breaking one. She's very verbal though, and barks at the most random things. Sammy is vocal in a different way; he "rrr" s at me when he's impatient about something. It's not a growl. It's kind of a cross between a grunt and a groan, a noise that clearly says, "oh, if only you could speak Dog!" Typical frustrated teenager!

Back
Top Bottom