A dog that can live with chickens

Dogs with a strong chase instinct are the most difficult. I've had two boxers (got them as puppies) tried training them and both could not be trusted around chickens or other animals that would run from them. If they ran it was instant "game on!". Neither of them has killed one yet but I was always there to intervene. I had to pry my little silky from my boxers mouth once...but she was fine. The boxer didn't really know how to actually kill but the chase was thrilling.
Boxers are awesome dogs but their chase instinct is just very strong. Although...maybe it's just me not being good at training them. 🤷

I can pipe in and concur that if trained a Welsh corgi could do great around your chickens, but they will require a lot of training as puppies! I loved my corgi SO much and she was a fantastic dog, but she was my most stubborn puppy to train! And I’ve had a lot of dogs in my lifetime haha. She really was the best little girl though and I miss her terribly :-(

Attachments

• 0E5AB060-963E-4D9E-B27C-D096FD7D1BF9.jpeg
    0E5AB060-963E-4D9E-B27C-D096FD7D1BF9.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi guys and thank you so much for all your replies! :love:love
I loved Corgies but the price looked too much for my parents :old
I want to say you that i found a very very cute puppy, mixed breed, without hunting dog kinship. Her parents live without problems with chickens. She's 2 months old and she will arrive in the first days of november. I'm so excited!!!! :lovei will try my best to train her and i will post a picture when she will arrive. THANKS GUYS!! :love:love

Hi guys and thank you so much for all your replies! :love:love
I loved Corgies but the price looked too much for my parents :old
I want to say you that i found a very very cute puppy, mixed breed, without hunting dog kinship. Her parents live without problems with chickens. She's 2 months old and she will arrive in the first days of november. I'm so excited!!!! :lovei will try my best to train her and i will post a picture when she will arrive. THANKS GUYS!! :love:love
Can’t wait to see pictures!! Good luck 😍

Back
Top Bottom