A duck in mourning

char032

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010

Hi all, I have an Indian Runner that has lost it's other half. I have a small yard that is able to sustain two ducks only. I have found another duck and am hoping she will bond with her, but she is still quaking for hours on end. I was just wondering how long or even if she will bond with the new duck and settle down. Granted, it has only been three days since they have been together, but I am surprised by how utterly upset the Indian Runner is. My other concern is if the Indian Runner considers me the third duck and has bonded to me. She stays at the door quaking after I go in. Any advice on how to help her would be greatly appreciated. I have not dealt with this and am unsure of what the process is when one has lost the other.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but definitely post on our Duck section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your duck adjusting.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!

Whoops, I did not realize there was a different section to post in (obviously). Thanks for the heads up and warm welcomes.

You can post on the "Duck thread," put in the search box and it will pop up. Hopefully they will have a lot more knowledge of duck behaviors. I don't think they fall in love at first sight tho.

Back
Top Bottom