A fair price for Cot quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Terri O, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a man stop the other day that was buying ducks and chickens. When he heard that I had quail he wanted to get a few for his little boy. I had no idea what to charge so I said 3 for $10. I sold him the roos. Now I am thinking of hatching some more birds...is that a good price? Should I charge more? I am in between Madison and Milwaukee in WI. My birds are laying up a storm! Thanks! Terri O

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    2-3 i think is the norm but if you can get 3 for 10 go with it

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I sell male culls for $3

Other than that they will range from 5-10 each depending on variety

4. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    I sell $4 each for ones to train bird dogs on. But up here in northern MI, no one and i mean no one has birds of any kind. there are only 3 breeders other than me within 100 miles.

5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:DO YOU SELL BOB WHITES OR CORTURNIX? AND ARE THEY FLIGHT READY WHEN YOU SELL THEM?

6. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Coturnix, and yes they are about 6-8 weeks when I sell them.

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the replies! You gave me an idea about training bird dogs...we have a hunt club up the road and I wonder if I might be able to sell some birds to them? Definitely worth a drive up there to maybe get something going for spring. Thanks! Terri O

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

my understanding/experience is that Coturnix make LOUSEY dog training birds...Bobs are what should be used

9. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Quote:What kind of flush do the coturnix give? Do they fly enough to shoot or are they more for pointer guys?

10. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I would say more for pointers, Cots dont fly far and they sometimes dont flush as much as they just try to run away lol. Bobs are bred to be skittish critters that just bolt when anything comes near

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by