A few chick questions

Makynzi3556

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
I got 12 hatching eggs from my brother's friend, and they started hatching 2 days ago, with the last one hatching this morning. The person who gave me these eggs says he has a Rhode Island Red rooster, and some Buff Orpington and Gold Laced Wyandotte hens.

However, all but two of the chicks look nothing like any of those breeds. After doing my research, they look like Welsummers to me, which leads to my first question; are my chicks Welsummers? My theory is that his rooster is a Welsummer and not a RIR considering the eggs didn't look too much like Welsummer eggs, and from what I found on Google, the roosters from both breeds look similar.

Another question I had is, if they are Welsummer, are the chicks with the numbers 1 and 2 (in my attached photos) male? I've looked it up and it says you can tell their gender by the shade of brown and how obvious there markings are.

My final question is why do my chicks seem to want their enclosure colder than other chicks do? Ive raised a few silkies and many ducklings in the past, and like I read online, the first week I kept them at around 95°F. These chicks start to pant and go as far away from the heat as possible when its above 90°F.

Thanks for any help you can give :)
20200606_132858.jpg
20200606_132837.jpg
20200606_132647.jpg
20200606_132516.jpg
20200606_132249.jpg

I guess they could be Welsummers or Welsummer mixes? Legs should be yellow if they're Welsummer though. Chipmunk pattern is pretty common in many breeds so I'm just guessing here.

Color sexing Welsummer chicks only works if the breeder works to keep that trait... I've had a lightly marked chick turn out female, and one with heavy eyeliner was male (it should be opposite). Since these are likely mixes, hard to say if any of that applies.

I guess they could be Welsummers or Welsummer mixes? Legs should be yellow if they're Welsummer though. Chipmunk pattern is pretty common in many breeds so I'm just guessing here.

Color sexing Welsummer chicks only works if the breeder works to keep that trait... I've had a lightly marked chick turn out female, and one with heavy eyeliner was male (it should be opposite). Since these are likely mixes, hard to say if any of that applies.
What are some breeds that have the chipmunk pattern? Ive looked at a few websites that help identify the breed of a chick and the only ones I saw were Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, and Brown Leghorn

Back
Top Bottom