A Few Pheasant Questions

Dean W

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Central Texas
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting some pheasants and they seem a bit pricey, so I wanted to make sure I get some get information before investing any money. First, how much room do pheasants need? I know for chickens it is recommended that they have about 3 sq. ft each, but all the pictures of pheasant enclosures I've seen seem much roomier. Second, about how long do they live for?

Thanks for viewing. :)

Both of those questions will vary depending on the species you are looking at.

Okay, thanks kindly for your reply. I'll need to do some more research. So far I was debating on the ornamental assortment available from a hatchery that has a 15 chick minimum. That's one of the main reasons I was debating size.

Ornamental species seem to go quickly in my area. You could raise them for a little bit and just keep the ones you like. You could probably rehome them fairly easily on here or craigslist.

Why buy from a hatchery?You have all the resources you need right on here.Hatchery birds are way to expensive.Remember,hatcheries are a middle man and they need to get paid for their service.You can buy birds from breeders and get much better quaility birds for cheaper money.What state are you in?I can get you people in your state thru the APWS(American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society)directory,and get you just about any pheasant species you want.In fact I have a few for sale right now.
Here in N.H. state requires 25 sq ft per bird,and reqwuire a permit,but this is for ringnecks only.Ornamental birds are not required to have a permit here in N.H.,but again each state has their own requirements.
In N.H.,Tony.

Why buy from a hatchery?You have all the resources you need right on here.Hatchery birds are way to expensive.Remember,hatcheries are a middle man and they need to get paid for their service.You can buy birds from breeders and get much better quaility birds for cheaper money.What state are you in?I can get you people in your state thru the APWS(American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society)directory,and get you just about any pheasant species you want.In fact I have a few for sale right now.
Here in N.H. state requires 25 sq ft per bird,and reqwuire a permit,but this is for ringnecks only.Ornamental birds are not required to have a permit here in N.H.,but again each state has their own requirements.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks Tony! Great information...I'm in Texas. That would be great if you could get some information through the directory. What do you have available? I'm just looking for some neat looking ones.

Okay, that's my next step is finding out the regulations on these birds. I already have a few phone numbers I need to call tomorrow. You know I never knew the hatcheries were middle men.
smile.png

Dale Fisher in Kileen,A.C.Jurasek in Wharton.I'm sure there are more that raise pheasants,but these are the only ones that do list them
I have impeyan pair,eliot pair,swinhoe male,temminick male,and red golden male.My pairs are related.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom