A few questions about my new orp chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IloveTravis, Aug 8, 2008.

1. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Okay, first off, I have eight day old baby buff orp chicks out of the incubator, and they're cute as can be [​IMG] But I was wondering- one of the chicks is a good deal bigger than the rest. it's almost laughable! He's twice as big as any chick in the brooder (and he's got big, pink, fat legs [​IMG]). He is also a lot fuzzier. Compared to his head, his face is so small- undeniably cute, but I've never had this before. Is he just healthy, or did it have something to do with the eggs, or what? he was the first one born :9 (and they're all dry and fuzzy now- it's not because the others are still wet [​IMG]
    Also, sometimes I lay out with the chickies and watch them run around on the carpet. When they get tired, they all try to burrow underneath me. Some go under my neck, or my hands. It's pretty dang cute.
    Do they think I'm the mother hen, or what?
    Thanks for the answers. As you can see, nothing really important. I'm just curious.
    I love those little chickies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I'll bet they do think of you as their mother. They are sweet, aren't they? I don't know about your big chick, maybe just a fluke, a nice, strong chicken. Unless you want a rooster, I hope it's a hen!

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I'm sure that they think you are their mother, that is too cute! My dh would have a heart attack if I had baby chicks on the carpet! The biggest one is probably just going to be your biggest best layer! Good Luck!

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i too have buff orphs. GREAT chickens! i Love em! i have found that this breed shows the males faster then the other breeds typically. I can spot a roo at about 2 weks old. They get bigger faster and start to grow the comb at abour two weeks too! you might have a roo.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by