A few questions any help would be great.

RocketMan32

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2015
Ok let's start from the beginning. I had 9 Ginnys that I let out at around 2 months. I now know that may have been to early for free range. I live on 8 acres my chickens free range all day and go right back home at night. About 2 acres away my neighbor had about 12 Ginny. Well now he has 21 my first set of Ginny migrated with his flock I think. So know I have 11 Ginny in there own coop been raising them from 2 weeks old. They are now four months old. I want to let them free range. When the watching the chickens they look so jealous. But I'm afraid that they will migrate with my neighbors flock again. Any suggestions to keep them on my property and away from the neighbors flock. I didn't try to get my first Ginny back from him they seemed happy and taken care of so I let them be. But I would be happy if these 11 weren't givin to the neighbor again. Any suggestions?

I do not think there is any way that you can free range without the possibility of your birds joining the neighbors. Waiting until they are mature before free ranging might work.

Last edited:
I also free range my flock,RIR and one sex link, but come night fall they seem to be blind as a post. I know most birds have poor night vision,owls being the exception, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my babies out all night. Do you supplement their free range feeding?
I worry that they are not getting enough.As night approaches they start to come to the back door and kinda mill around waiting for me to bring them to the pen and when I throw about a 1/2 cup in run they attack it like their starving.

I feed them every night and mourning. I let them out for about four hours today. And they went back in there pen so I locked them up for the night. I'll let them out every day and watch them and hope for the best.

Ours stay out from around 0830-0900 and stay out till dusk, running all over the place deep into the woods and all over the yard. I'm guessing they find lots of bugs and such but don't know if i should feed them more. We are in south Ms so they get around 9- 10 hours of daylight. Our Great Pitt Lab mutt watches over them so no worries from predators here.

Update the Guinea are staying close to there pen. And getting along with the chickens. Keeping fingers crossed!

Update the Guinea are staying close to there pen. And getting along with the chickens. Keeping fingers crossed!
two of my roosters are migrators. they came across the sheep pen from my neighbor's yard. the neighbor wasn't taking care of them so i kept them. they were young so i also think they were being picked. they happily run with their own flocks now in separate pens. and are almost too well fed now.

Ya my birds are well fed. So I think they know this is where the food and safe shelter is. They been free ranging all day with the chickens. And are staying fairly close to home so far.

Last edited:
Harley,

I am about to get 6 guineas to compliment my 21 hens. I have been searching the boards to educate myself on guinea behavior. The only thing I have not found is the scratching habits of the guinea. I keep the chickens away from my gardens and shrub beds. Their scratching makes a mess which is not tolerated. They free range in the back field and have enough fun searching for bugs and worms. The guinea will free range all the time but if they are big scratchers I will not be happy. What can I expect.

Harley,

I am about to get 6 guineas to compliment my 21 hens. I have been searching the boards to educate myself on guinea behavior. The only thing I have not found is the scratching habits of the guinea. I keep the chickens away from my gardens and shrub beds. Their scratching makes a mess which is not tolerated. They free range in the back field and have enough fun searching for bugs and worms. The guinea will free range all the time but if they are big scratchers I will not be happy. What can I expect.

Guineas can dig some pretty deep holes that they either use for dust bathing or for nests. Other than that they are very mild scratchers. They do not normally tear up a place like chickens do especially if they have lots of room.

Back
Top Bottom