A few questions from....the newbie (me)

momoftwinsinwi

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2007
Rochester, WI
Ok, chicken house is just about done, still have to put nesting boxes in, some roosts and I think I'll hang the feed and waterers. Question #1, the chicken house has a full size door that will be on the outside of the run, people access only. I want to put a ramp for the chickens and a cut out on the "pen side" and leave it open all the time....??? The pen will be predator proof as I plan on getting a trencher that will hopefully dig a wider "trench" so I can bury the fence down at least 6 inches and also out about that same length. I also plan to double up on the chicken wire at least 1/2 way up the pen and of course cover the top also with wire. Ok to leave the small opening for the chickens open all the time? Also, is there a trencher out there that will trench out wide like 6"??? I plan to rent one....I have 16 pullets, will 4 nesting boxes be enough or should I go with 6? And can I stack the nesting boxes, like two a foot off of the ground of the coop and then 2 more boxes above those? Thanks in advance for your advice and tips!

I too am figuring out how to "decorate" my coop.
smile.png

4 nest boxes should be good. I read somewhere that with pullets you start with the boxes on the floor until they know where they are, then start moving them up.

Doing the same thing as you with my fencing. Bury about 6 inches, double wire about half way up and covering top with wire. Even thinking of running a strand of electric wire too. But, for my peace of mind I'll still close the door every evening.

As for the trencher, no clue. DH has one for his tractor and that's his dept.
lol.png

Sounds like you got all your "ducks" in a row!

I keep my little door open to their run day and night...and haven't had more than mice bother them. Occasionally, if there are strong storms in the area, I will shut them in for their own peace of mind. Their coop and run are enclosed inside of a page wire fenced back yard. the predators in our area are fox, owls, hawks and eagles. I will lose one or two to a hawk if I let them free roam unattended in the back yard.

As for ditching....I just use a shovel. DH isn't always avail with his tractor to do the job when it needs to be done. Most of the work needing done are minor ones that I can do myself.

Sounds like you have researched and made a great home for the chickens! Congrats!

Sylvia

Thanks for the advice and "pat on the back" ---I would be lost without this forum, I'll tell ya!! I'm glad to be chatting and meeting all of you!!! I'll keep you updated! Babies are a week old today although I work a 12 hour night shift and it just turned "today" so they are 8 days old LOL!!!

Back
Top Bottom