A few questions

jmsissy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Is there other dogs good for guarding chickens other than a great pyrenees?

Do they (great pyrenees) guard against owl/hawk attacks or just ground critters?

What if u have other dogs? I have 2 boxers and don't want them hurt. They are my house dogs. Would they just ward them off or try to hurt them?

That could go either way depending on the individual dogs. Boxers are prone to chasing chickens. LGD's that are trained to guard chickens may very well defend them from playful boxers they see as a threat. Both behaviours are expected. A great deal of management will probably be called for.

I have 5 acres and my front yard is fenced in for the boxers. I could fence in the side yard for the pyrenees and the chickens coming off the dog kennel.

I saw a year old female Great Pyrenees on Craigslist. I've always adopted and rescued my dogs, but now I'm a parent. I'm rather leary of adopting a more mature dog. And, I'm not familiar at all with the breed. But, I've seen the breed mentioned here more than once.

Wonder if I should go take a look ...

Ask if the dog has been around other pets/farm animals such as chickens, etc. I looked for a long time at getting an older Pyrenees and most of those being offered were either house dogs or had killed the owner's chickens or chased their horses or something.

I finally bought a 9 week old female Great Pyrenees and she is WONDERFUL. She was raised with goats, chickens and cats and doesn't chase my chickens, geese or ducks and gets along great with my cats! Of course is took awhile for the cats to become "unwired" around her.
gig.gif

I think starting with a puppy is a safer bet.
8932_dscn0008.jpg

My chihuahua-mini pin mix is very good at keeping cats out of my yard when the chickens are out free-ranging. He sometimes will chase them but only for a few yards, as if to say "I'm the one taking names around here, girls, so watch out!". He would never hurt them. Below is a pic of him chilling on his cushion with my 9 week old chicks hanging out below.

I am a huge proponent of adopting dogs and cats--mixed breeds are the BEST! Most of my friends have pure breeds and they ALL have some sort of problem: skin allergens, eye problems, behavioral issues, you name it. All my dogs have been mixed breed and I have never had a problem with any of them. SAVE A SHELTER PET--ADOPT DON"T BUY!

27838_gibby-with-chikd.jpg

Great Pyrenes were bred by monks in the Pyrenes mountains in France to guard sheep and to help locate avalanche victims, so they naturally have the inclination to be very gentle watchdogs. My sister had one--John Henry--who was the most gentle beautiful dog you have ever met. Her kids would crawl all over him and he would just patiently lie there. They look like big white St. Bernards. Be warned, they don't live long as most giant breed dogs tend to have shorter life spans. Magnificent dogs though.

Well I would like a few of my chickens free range but live in the country and there are all the predators here as in skunks,coons possums and this guy..
hawk-002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom