A first time chicken 'rescuer' has questions!

timshelper

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
I am taking in my first chicken, a hen named 'Tim'.
Yes, a hen. Don't ask me, I'm not asking her prior owners, all I know is she likes people, is aggressive to other chickens, needs to be the only chicken and is about to become a meat chicken.
Since I am known as a stay at home taker-inner of all sorts of adult unwanted creatures, I thought i'd give it a go. Whatever I can offer her has to be better than what she has now which is apparently a 3x4 pen in isolation from the other chickens.
I do not have a coop, but I do have a shaded, side yard that is enclosed and covered that I built for my Calif Desert Tortoise rescues, and a big dog crate for at night? this is all I've got so far. Help, suggestions, admonitions, anything you have in the way of feedback appreciated. Picking her up tomorrow, will not be seeing her current home, meeting the owner halfway.
They say she is tame to people, never pecked, can be picked up, but she DID apparently kill another chicken, hence her banishment. I know nothing about any of this, but I know I can learn~ this is how I became kindof a Bearded Dragon expert, taking in a 9 year old neglected one, learning about all BD needs and health issues and now I have three!

Back
Top Bottom