A fisher cat?

ZoeS95423

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Okay , So I have had a few ducks disapear recently, and its during the day,
not sure what time, Earlier around the morning though.
My boyfriend was out hunting the other day, and saw a really large fisher cat in the woods that is close to our pond. Our ducks barely go in the pond anymore
Could this be why?

Yup.

They have a trapping season for two months starting December here, your not allowed to shoot them per se. As a livestock owner you have rights to protect them and if I had a gun in hand seeing a fisher wouldn't hesitate to take it down. If your worried about laws then contact your local warden first to gain permission to kill the predator killing your livestock.

Last edited:
Okay, I would not hesitate at all to shoot it, if I caught it anywhere near my ducks.

Egghead, why is there a trapping season, but your not allowed to shoot them?

Not really sure why they call them "cats" because they aren't. They are a member of the weasel family. We have a a lot of fisher here, but I don't think they try and raid chicken coops too often.

Quote:
Fishers are one of the few predators to kill porcupines, why they were introduced to America was to cull the hedgehog population. As any predator they will take easier game at will. Rabbits and domestic ducks are certainly on the list, edit to add they are the #1 killer of house cats. These little fellas are serious ferocious. Fish and game wants to continue Fisher habitation therefore trapping after brood is started and mother is likely with them. Fur is still a commodity and in that 2 month period chances are only males are culled which can weigh in up to 14 lbs.

Last edited:
we have them in our area, but it's been a BAD coyote year so they've thinned out a tad. Their pelts DO have value.

Back
Top Bottom