A Floor on the Run

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
I just put up my coop - it a large one from Tractor Supply. I've had it up for just over a a week and our wet weather and my new chickens have pecked it clean (of course). My DH says we should put a floor down that I can regularly clean (vs. the natural dirt that I would rake). He's a city boy BTW. I think that will be nasty. But - I'm willing to be told I am wrong. I am thinking they need the dirt to scratch and peck at. I just need to rake more.

I know he is trying to be helpful but I just have a feeling he is wrong. Growing up - we had chickens (and sheep, goats, cows horses). I am a country girl BTW - and I don't recall ever having a "floor" in the outdoor run. Advice anyone?

No floor! Chickens like and need the dirt! If your coop is small enuf, you can move it around to new ground now and then....

I also vote for Deep Litter Method. Plenty for the chickens to peck, lots of bugs and seeds from the plant material you thro in there. We use hay, straw, grass clippings, leaves, pine needles and landscape/garden debris. No odor and no flies and we only clean ours out once a year.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    988.1 KB · Views: 7
No floor, deep litter or at least wood chips, pine cones and some yard scraps. This will give different textures in your run and give them something to dig in and find bugs. It helps keep them busy so they don't pick on each other.

Back
Top Bottom