1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

A-FRAME COOP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ncgnance, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    This is a picture of what I came up with for a coop for our 5 week old biddies. I started with a swing set I made for my granddaughter when she was 2 years old. She is 9 now.
    [​IMG]
    I took the slide off, added some framing for the polyurethane and plastic wiring and the door. I put the house part under the platform that was for the slide.
    Since this picture was taken I've added a drop-down top board on the front for cleaning out. The 'roof' of the house makes a real good place to put supplies like food and pine shavings.
    [​IMG]
    And these are why I went to all this trouble. Actually, it was fun to figure out what to do next, and a whole lot easier than starting from scratch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Fantastic coop. You can move it around? [​IMG]

3. nickki99

nickki99 In the Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Wow that is nice. Bet they enjoy it.

4. ncgnance

ncgnance Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thanks!! Sadly, no, it can't be moved. I probably will just be using it as a "halfway house" for biddies, or maybe if I have to isolate a hurt or sick chicken. And yes, the biddies LOVE it. They had been in a box in the house, and if a chicken can show pure happiness, they did when I put them in the pen. FREEDOM!!! Now, if anyone has any ideas as to how I COULD make the coop movable, I'd love to. My other coops are on runners, but it takes a tractor to move them.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member 11 Years

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You said that you were wondering what to do next. I was thinking, maybe add some removeable panels to enclose more of it when its cold or rainy.
    Really nice job, Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: