A-frame design questions

smilenihl

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2017
Hi,

I'm planning on building an A-frame coop with the bottom half being the run and top being the coop. I live in Nebraska and I'm wondering how to deal with the weather extremities here.

My husband wants to have the ventilation be limited to the peak of the roof- it'd be 8ft long by a half ft or so wide. Am I right that's not enough? Keep in mind NE has 90°+ humid summers. I was thinking of also having both small sides be vented.

Also, considering NE can get fairly cold in winter, do I need insulation? I don't think so since my families in the area don't have it, but they also heat the coops, which I was hoping to avoid.

Thoughts?

you could add a vented ridge cap and/or make the 2 ends of the coop area open and could cut plywood or plastic to cover in the winter. No insulation is needed for most breeds although there are breeds that only have smooth feathers that are not cold tolerant at all (ex seramas and modern game).

you could add a vented ridge cap or make the 2 ends of the coop area open and could cut plywood or plastic to cover in the winter. No insulation is needed for most breeds although there are breeds that only have smooth feathers that are not cold tolerant at all (ex seramas and modern game).

Thanks a bunch!

Peak of the roof would be a ridge vent...could work.
I'd advise against an Aframe tho...usually tight 'coop' space above.
Hard to maintain/tend to during winter storms.

Peak of the roof would be a ridge vent...could work.
I'd advise against an Aframe tho...usually tight 'coop' space above.
Hard to maintain/tend to during winter storms.

Just so I understand, why would it be hard during winter storms?

Back
Top Bottom