A frame small coop - need waterer

Jules21

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Adelaide, South Australia
I have a small A frame coop that 3 chickens stay in during the day until I get home. They poo, scratch dirt/straw and knock over all the containers that I put in with water (4), so by end of the day they have no water. I've tried different containers, raised them on bricks, but same outcome. Any ideas anyone? I've tried the wet-a-chook plastic pipe system with lubing drinker, but doesn't seem to work properly and they still manage to scratch dirt and straw into the cup. And if the sun is on it, makes the water awfully warm. It's summer and very hot in South Australia currently, and I'm losing my cool with what to do. Newbie and not doing to well with having chooks.

HI and welcome to BYC! I'm sorry you are having problems, but it will be fine once you get everything like you want it. Do a search on "Chicken Nipples" and see if that would be better for you. There are several types. Some screw into holes drilled in thick buckets and others push into thin plastic soda bottles. They cannot get trash in them and it is easy to train the chickens to use them. Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

Hi
welcome-byc.gif
Can you hang a water container with nipples on it? You could use a small bucket with a lid and make one - just make sure you use JB Water Weld epoxy around the nipples so it doesn't leak. You could then drop a frozen water bottle in it each morning and it would stay clean.

Back
Top Bottom