A friendly hello and introduction

leanna1120

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Wisconsin
I live in Wisconsin and am new to chicken keeping. I have seven 3 week old pullets...with 4 more to arrive in a couple of weeks. They are a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpington's, and Barred Rocks. I choose the breeds hoping to put together a nice combination of cold hardy chicks, that are good layers and friendly for my kiddos.

So far we're doing great! My daughters have each bonded with a chick..and true to the descriptions the BO's and BR's are extremely friendly and affectionate. Our coop has been quite a project, but is almost done. It's an 8X8 coop with an 8X16 fenced in and covered outdoor run. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Any thoughts or advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Leanna

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you are enjoying your chicken keeping experiences!! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Leanna. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all three of those breeds and you've achieved your goal with them. Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks are great for children; especially the Orps which are very friendly and gentle. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) has made lap pets of ours. I would keep a careful eye though on the RIRs as occasionally I had an aggressive one in my flock that had to be culled. You don't want to risk any serious injuries to your children (like having an eye put out). I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finishing your coop.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with the chicks!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Well you are right about the Orps. Here is a pic of my daughter holding one of them. They watched the Packer game on the couch together that day
smile.png
My PR's are just as friendly though...and they just happen to like Packer games on the couch with us too.

Back
Top Bottom