A funny thing happened when I went to check on the ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Today wasa the first day that I have let my muscovy hen and her ducklings out of the brooder or coop. It was in the high 60s today and sunny so I figured it would be a good day.
    I was periodically going out to check and make sure they were okay and nobody was bothering them. I also went ahead and counted to be sure nobody had disappeared. The ducklings are usually always in a pile so with them somewhat seperate and while they were busy exploring, I counted. There were 12. I thought. Apparently someone has always been hiding for the last 2 weeks because there are actually 13!
    [​IMG]

I mean there were times that I would count 13 but I just figured I counted someone twice. So, I am the proud new owner of thirteen ducklings.

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Well Congratulations.

4. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

5. werepoodle

werepoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    San Angelo, TX
    Same thing happened to me 16 years ago with Standard poodle puppies. Our white poodle (bred to blk male) started having pups at 2 PM, so 12 hours and 12 puppies (2 AM) we had 8 white and 4 brown, we were all exhausted but we waited a couple of hrs to make sure she was finished and went to sleep. when we checked on her about 5 hrs later one of the brown pups was really dark and we looked closer and reallized she'd had 1 blk girl. Then when I started to clean her whelping box and counting, there were 9 white pups. ( I had to recount several times I'm dyslexic) 14 puppies total needless to say lots of extra bottle feedings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by