1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A good life

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scooter147, May 18, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yesterday I finally culled Robin a 12 year old Silver Spangled Hamburg. I believe she had arthiritis for some time now. She needed "help" to get on the roost at night. Her wings just didn't work like they use to nor her legs and feet for the matter.
    I noticed the past fews days she was not even able to make it up the ramp to get into the coop, she would get about a 1/4 of the way up and just fall off. She no longer wanted to roost but just spend the night in the corner of the coop. Her feed intake was way off and she just didn't look like she was having a very good quality of life any more.
    My other half suggested that it was time and I had to agree.
    She had a great life, absolutely one of the luckiest chickens in the world.
    She was the last of the 15 I brought with me to my current place. Ah memories.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG] on the passing of this old girl. It does sound like she had an excellent - and long - life.

3. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    12 Years! Bless her heart, and yours too. [​IMG]

4. Spunky~Chick~Mom

Spunky~Chick~Mom Chicken Crazed!

May 7, 2009
    Mississippi Delta
    So Sorry!!! [​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    12 years...that's great, you give me hope for long lives of my favorite chickens. Sorry to hear that she died, but it sounds like she did have a wonderful life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by