A good rub for roasted chicken?

I love Herbs de Provence on roast chicken. However, I think its best to mix the herbs with butter and dijon mustard and massage it in between the skin and the meat. That way, the herbs dont burn and they flavor the meat very well
big_smile.png
Then I just salt and pepper the skin on the outside.

My favorite is to lightly rub down the bird with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, leaf sage, leaf or ground Thyme, and a little parsley. this to me is a simple staple Rub, that does mask the flavor of the chicken, and also enhances the Gravy flavor.

AL

this is very good. Rosemary,parsley, salt (Kosher or sea) black pepper, fresh minced garlic, the grated rind of one orange and a little olive oil rubbed all over (and some under the skin). Stuff the bird with the leftover orange quartered, a small onion, a stalk of celery with leaves and a clove or two of garlic. Truss and slow roast at 325 degrees for first hour, then turn up to 375 degree for another 1/2hr- 45 min. or till done by weight.

I went with a 5lb chicken, rubbed with an olive oil, lemon, lemon thyme and garlic mixture, and stuffed with onions, sliced lemons, garlic, and 3 rosemary limbs from the herb garden. I put all that in a roasting pan, added new baby potatoes and carrots with a quart of chicken broth. It was superb, even if I do say so myself. As much as I love to cook, it was my first time actually roasting a bird.

I usually slide butter pieces under the skin and take a packet cup of soup and rub on the outside skin.

I know alot of people like to rub between the skin and meat, I am not an advocate of this as i think it drys the meat a little and shrinks and schrivals the skin. I prefer to baste aften, tell me what your skin looks like after you rub between the two. Thanks.

If you can find it there, Paul Prudhomme makes a poultry seasoning rub that is fantastic!

I also like to drizzle a mixture of olive oil & melted butter all over, & insert chopped thyme, sage, parsley & rosemary under the skin & in the cavity--lol, just like the old Beatle's song!

Back
Top Bottom