A great cure for curled toes!

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
I had a chick hatch this past week that had a big problem with it's right toes. I'd read on here where people have made toe splints, but I was having a hard time getting it on the chick. Then I remembered I had some foam tape that I used on one of my other animals. (It can be found in the same section as surgical tape and bandaids. It's thin and flesh colored, but I can't remember what kind of tape it's called.) I cut two pieces--one for the top and one for the bottom. I spread the chicks toes out on the bottom part, leaving the back toe free, then stuck the top part on, carefully molding it to the toes. Then I carefully trimmed away the excess around the outside so that it could walk. It looks like a duck foot!
lol.png
After three days, the toes are perfectly normal, and it's running around fine.

I really liked this method because if you just touch the two pieces of tape together, it isn't so tight as to cut off the circulation, and is still flexible enough that the chick can move with it. It also spreads out the chick's weight and gives it better stability. It also doesn't require much work!

Back
Top Bottom