A Happy Re-Homing Story

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
A Happy Re-Homing Story

I re-homed 3 of my most aggressive silver laced wyandottes about a month ago after repeated beatings and harrassment of one of my Delawares and one of my Buffs. My little buff would not even leave the safety of the coop for fear of being chased down and jumped and my Delaware turned into a loner and fearful of everything and everyone.

After great advice from you, I gave the 3 instigators to a friend who has had chickens for some 25 years. The 3 lived in a barn stall with their own covered outdoor run that shared a fence with her own chickens for about a month so they could get to know each other.

When she allowed them to be together, her oldest and most frail barred rock (who she was convinced was dying from old age) suddenly rallied and adopted the young hens, showed them the ropes and introduced them to Mr. Rooster. Long story short, they have been accepted and are very happy in their new home, laying eggs and NOT displaying aggressive behavior. They follow the old hen around all day long, and she suddenly has a new outlook on life. I guess she just needed a job.

And at my house? The little buff has confidently rejoined the flock in all their activities and the Delaware is slowing growing her neck and chest feathers back. My remaining wyandottes are gentle and friendly. I think everyone apprecaites more room too.

Thanks for your advice. It worked....as always.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom