A Hawk Is Killing Our Chickens. What should I do?

If your birds are in coop with covered run, then my only concern would be to make sure chickens sleep more than 6" away from any area owl can reach through with its feet. If chickens roost tight against owl can reach through either prevent that or make so owl can not see chickens. If birds free-ranged then getting them settled on roost a good 30 minutes before sun down and do not release them until sun up the following morning. This time of years owls will hunt during days that are overcast but they are not near the threat they pose at night. You do not disoriented or hungry birds out walking about when light levels are low. A good percentage of losses to owls I have dealt with appear to be the result of chickens not getting settled onto protective roost. The chickens having a lot of discord on roost needs to be corrected by adjusting roosting arrangements.
Centrachid do you ever have a problem with chicken lice or mites and how often does this happen

For me lice and mites a problem when flock tightly confined with minimal dust bathing options. This will be a challenge with three flocks of laying hens. New dust bathing areas are being installed. Free-range birds as I keep them not so challenged. Pens moved around and roosts exposed to weather making so birds are in good shaped. Parasites of all sorts a problem when birds on same ground for too long.

For me lice and mites a problem when flock tightly confined with minimal dust bathing options. This will be a challenge with three flocks of laying hens. New dust bathing areas are being installed. Free-range birds as I keep them not so challenged. Pens moved around and roosts exposed to weather making so birds are in good shaped. Parasites of all sorts a problem when birds on same ground for too long.

hi I just finish looking over my chicken tonight I did not see anything on them so why are some of my hens necks have no feathers I did move my chicken houses this fall do you have floor in your chicken house and how far are you from county rd. 4039,what kind of bathing areas are you installing

hi I just finish looking  over my chicken tonight I did not  see anything on them so why are some of my hens necks have no feathers I did move my chicken houses this fall do you have floor in your chicken house and how far are you from county rd. 4039,what kind of bathing areas are you installing

Distance 4.5 miles as the crow flies. I am at west end of OO.

Metal tub filled about 1/3 full with soil. Must have a range of particle sizes and be kept dry to be effective. Soon birds will be let out once per week.

Feathers stubby / missing can come from them being pushed to hard on a diet that is less than ideal with respect to protein required for feather maintenance. In my experience feather quality often deteriorates with diets that are otherwise suitable for egg production. You will not be able to correct problem this year but next try to elevate protein a percentage or two.

We are high-jacking this thread.

Distance 4.5 miles as the crow flies. I am at west end of OO.

Metal tub filled about 1/3 full with soil. Must have a range of particle sizes and be kept dry to be effective. Soon birds will be let out once per week.

Feathers stubby / missing can come from them being pushed to hard on a diet that is less than ideal with respect to protein required for feather maintenance. In my experience feather quality often deteriorates with diets that are otherwise suitable for egg production. You will not be able to correct problem this year but next try to elevate protein a percentage or two.

We are high-jacking this thread.
so you think we have high -jacking this thread ' if any one would have told me about chicken well I just don't know if you really take care of them it is more work then you think, I spend more time taking care of my chickens lol I don't even get to sew I love saying about the crow I had to laugh ok do you ever go to Mc Donald's we sometimes set with the coffee drinkers ,how many chicken do you have I love animals I make pets out of everything I got sand stove ash's and some top soil now they just to get in there I enjoy talking with you Jerrey Mae

so you think we have high -jacking this thread ' if any one would have told me about chicken well I just don't know if you really take care of them it is more work then you think, I spend more time taking care of my chickens lol I don't even get  to sew I love saying about the crow I had to laugh ok do you ever go to Mc Donald's we sometimes set  with the coffee drinkers ,how many chicken do you have I love animals I make pets out of everything I got sand stove ash's and some top soil now they just  to get in there  I enjoy talking with you                                    Jerrey Mae  

Currently I have 58. I am setup for between 75 and 100 for the winter. During summer number can approach 300 but usually less than 200 and where numbers fluctuate the flock is dominated numerically by young birds the hawks would have interest in if I did not prevent. Time investment considerable here as well with about 1 hour per day for simply feeding and watering. I like to set aside 4 hours on weekend just for general upkeep. Getting up multiple times per night is not counted in the equation. The birds for me provide more than a hobby.

Currently I have 58. I am setup for between 75 and 100 for the winter. During summer number can approach 300 but usually less than 200 and where numbers fluctuate the flock is dominated numerically by young birds the hawks would have interest in if I did not prevent. Time investment considerable here as well with about 1 hour per day for simply feeding and watering. I like to set aside 4 hours on weekend just for general upkeep. Getting up multiple times per night is not counted in the equation. The birds for me provide more than a hobby.

it sounds like you spend a lot more time then I do what do you do with so many chickens, I keep trying to fix there fence better and safer

it sounds like you spend a lot more time then I do what do you do with so many chickens, I keep trying  to fix there fence  better and safer  

Some of my involvement with chickens is decidely work related. I work at Lincoln U. in animal science. The chickens are used as educational tools at field day events and in classroom settings (see link below). Birds used for such are extremely high value owing to investments in taming. Others are part of long-term, very long-term breeding projects. A few are used for 4-H projects.

Consider thinking beyond that single fence. Look into ways you can have an additional barrier / layer the predator contacts first. I have fences to be sure but other methods are employed inside and outside that obvious electrified poultry netting. I have an electrified perimeter of hotwire around most of poultry yard and I mow a strip around that. The abrupt change in plant covers serves as warning to all that they are entering into a managed / claimed area. Those mowing help direct my dogs patrolling habits that increase their apparent presence to predators on the ground. Inside the poultry netting I have numerous pens. Birds inside pens are enouraged to roost at least 4 feet up as young as possible. I also invest effort in keeping chickens roosting free and clear of areas that predators like owls can reach. With my setup hawks are simply not an issue which is largely due to ample cover and adult roosters. Dogs and my efforts should not be discounted either.

The efforts linked below you or someone you know may have seen.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

Roosters for such generally kept free-range near house where I have seen numerous interactions with hawks and other predators. The house based harem also live in close contact with dogs that base activities on front porch.. Until recently I had those harems either roosting on front porch or in garage (see thread linked below). That has been stopped to make room for proper garage use. In early stages predator management was decidely "loosy-goosy".
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/451333/constructing-a-single-chicken-family-unit-for-porch

Woodcock are calling gott run.

Back
Top Bottom