1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Hawk killed one of my hens - her name was Lisa

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by happyhensny, Feb 27, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

[​IMG] Yesterday I got home from work around 4 and went out to check on the chooks. Not even 2 ft away from the run was alot of barred rock feathers. Saw a movement out of the corner of my eye and there it was. On the edge of our woods, not even 15 ft away from me, on my hen. I ran over but it was much too late. My youngest daughter who will be 6 on Sunday, was very upset, as were my older two. We live in basically the suburbs. There are many homes around. On Sunday, we are going to let her pick out a few chicks from an ad I read on Craigslist. A sad day.

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    So Sorry for your loss,

it is so hard to explain to children,

I hope your little girl gets over it quickly.

3. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I am so sorry Lisa got killed!
    [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww! i am sorry to hear about this! [​IMG]

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Thank you Jen, Texas chick and Red Hen. I just went out to let them out and our Roo, Otis, is soooo nervous. He souded the alarm while I was out there and the girls ran in the coop as fast as they could. Our run is 6 ft tall chain link fence with the top chain link fence then metal roof. Not likely anything could get in. Hopefully they will get over it soon.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sorry for your loss, I have lost several BRs to hawks this year, thank god the crows are starting to come back I counted 6 the other day. Now if they will start to harass the hawks.

Be careful not to get to close to a hawk they can inflict severe cuts is they chose to fight instead of flea.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry about Lisa...
    I had a redtail get Miss MoneyPenny on my anniversary in May...talk about bittersweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by