A Hawk killed one of my hens - her name was Lisa

happyhensny

Brown Barns Farm
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
near Albany, New York
sad.png
Yesterday I got home from work around 4 and went out to check on the chooks. Not even 2 ft away from the run was alot of barred rock feathers. Saw a movement out of the corner of my eye and there it was. On the edge of our woods, not even 15 ft away from me, on my hen. I ran over but it was much too late. My youngest daughter who will be 6 on Sunday, was very upset, as were my older two. We live in basically the suburbs. There are many homes around. On Sunday, we are going to let her pick out a few chicks from an ad I read on Craigslist. A sad day.

So Sorry for your loss,

it is so hard to explain to children,

I hope your little girl gets over it quickly.

Thank you Jen, Texas chick and Red Hen. I just went out to let them out and our Roo, Otis, is soooo nervous. He souded the alarm while I was out there and the girls ran in the coop as fast as they could. Our run is 6 ft tall chain link fence with the top chain link fence then metal roof. Not likely anything could get in. Hopefully they will get over it soon.

Sorry for your loss, I have lost several BRs to hawks this year, thank god the crows are starting to come back I counted 6 the other day. Now if they will start to harass the hawks.

Be careful not to get to close to a hawk they can inflict severe cuts is they chose to fight instead of flea.

Back
Top Bottom