A hawk!

LivReigns

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
North Carolina
I've had chickens for a long time. Other than possums, ive never encountered any other predators where I live until today. My chickens free range, and at night they're safe in their pens. Today, a hawk swept down and almost snatched my little d'uccle rooster! And I wasn't standing that far, so hawks are obviously bold. Does anyone have any advice of how to deter hawks? I dont want to keep my flock penned up all day.

Unfortunately I am dealing with this same situation, except 3 of my birds have been gotten in the past 48 hours including a 4 month old D'Uccle roo and a year old D'Uccle roo. I had a very strong bond to both of them and it's really affecting me, which is why I logged on here today. This has happened to me before, but never so many so quickly. In the past I have locked up my birds for a week, long enough for the hawk to give up and leave. Once they know where the easy meals are, they hang around. I understand you not wanting to lock them up, but I would suggest you keep them out of sight for a week. The hawk will hopefully move on in that time since they are migratory.
I would strongly advise you do it before he's back and it's too late. It's no fun finding feather piles of your favorite birds.

I've had chickens for a long time. Other than possums, ive never encountered any other predators where I live until today. My chickens free range, and at night they're safe in their pens. Today, a hawk swept down and almost snatched my little d'uccle rooster! And I wasn't standing that far, so hawks are obviously bold. Does anyone have any advice of how to deter hawks? I dont want to keep my flock penned up all day.
Unfortunately, that's probably what it's going to take. Do you have a run attached to your coop? Might be an idea to put one up if you don't. It's pretty handy. My chickens free range much of the time, but if we're going to be gone a few days, or predators are lurking about, or visiting family brings their dog, the chickens are locked up in their coop/run. They may not be happy about it, but I can't imagine they'd enjoy being eaten alive, either.
Unfortunately I am dealing with this same situation, except 3 of my birds have been gotten in the past 48 hours including a 4 month old D'Uccle roo and a year old D'Uccle roo. I had a very strong bond to both of them and it's really affecting me, which is why I logged on here today. This has happened to me before, but never so many so quickly. In the past I have locked up my birds for a week, long enough for the hawk to give up and leave. Once they know where the easy meals are, they hang around. I understand you not wanting to lock them up, but I would suggest you keep them out of sight for a week. The hawk will hopefully move on in that time since they are migratory.
I would strongly advise you do it before he's back and it's too late. It's no fun finding feather piles of your favorite birds.
Wise words.

My chickens do have a coop, yes. And i will pen them up if i have to. I definitely do not want a hawk snatching one of my kiddos. I'm hoping he clears out quickly! He seems to only be interested in swooping after the little ones!

I've recently penned my free rangers due to 2 missing hens about a month apart. Nothing left but a little feather pile each time. We suspect a coyote since we've seen them lurking nearby in the day, but there have always been hawks here as well. The chickens had been free range almost a year, and surprisingly, they have taken confinement quite well. No one is begging to get out. It could be they know what happened. We enlarged their run and they have about 100 sq. ft. each.

My mother, who also owns chickens and lives next door to me, told me a hawk snatched one of her Cuckoo Maran chicks. Nothing left but a pile of black feathers. I've penned up all my chickens. I spotted the hawk again when I went out to put out new water. He's truly a massive bird.

Do you know what kind of hawk it is? We see the red tailed hawks here. They are smaller than our chickens.

This one was very large, gigantic wingspan. My mother told me she believes it's a Cooper's hawk. You definitely cant miss it circling in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom