A hen named "Butch"

Quote:
?

I am taking them seriously, but the opinions were mixed. Possibly if all the opinions were 100% sure, I might begin looking for a new home, but since there is a bit of doubt here I will wait as long as possible. We might be able to keep him; roos can be permitted where I live depending on how loud he is & whether the neighbors complain. I would like to keep him if I can, so I will put off any decision for as long as possible (even if that means I'm in denial).

I do appreciate the opinions, so thanks to all who posted.

Well, here's another opinion that you've got a nice cockerel there. He most definitely has a larger comb and is much lighter than my girls were at that age.

I have a pullet looked like that even agressive, thought she was a roo...separated her as she was mean to others...she lays eggs....so definately female....a few weeks after she began laying....another (hen) crowed...(oops a boy not a hen) she then became submissive and sweet.

The comb says rooster. The color says rooster. But, the body type is really saying hen. I am not really convinced 100% either way. I think this is one of those birds that could go either way. Watch it over the next few weeks and post some new pics. Is it a bantam? It looks quite small but appears to be pretty good quality.

Richard

Quote:
I agree, the color and comb and wattle development definately suggest cockerel, but the body shape appears more like that of a pullet.

Regardless, my guess would be cockerel.

Here's my "butchy" Sam - who I believe is indeed a pullet. That's Samantha to you, please. She is now 18 weeks old - no eggs, but I'm not expecting any for about a month.

Sam at 8 weeks:
7883_bw8.jpg

7883_blackwing.jpg

No guesses on yours - but hope this helps for comparison. Your comb looks even taller than Sam's was at the same age... iffy.

Back
Top Bottom