A hiccup

Mamamorey

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
Hello! I am a first time chicken owner, learning lots, the hard way😂 I have 10 hens and 1 rooster in a small coop. Everything was going fairly well until one of the hens was determined to be a mom. I couldn’t break her of her broodiness, and although, I really didn’t want more birds, I let her sit on 5 eggs. Only one hatched. This pullet is now 7 weeks old. She runs with the big birds during the day and is doing well, but at night, she doesn’t roost with the others but on a shelf in the front of the coop. Any suggestions? Should I be intervening and putting her with the others? When the nights start to get cold, will she roost?
Grateful for any ideas

Yes, you should intervene and put her into the coop. She just needs to learn that's where to go at night. Somehow, her mama missed teaching her that lesson. You could try putting her next to her mama, especially if she can be placed between mama and a wall, to minimize pecking from other hens.

With my pullets, it only takes 2-3 nights and they've got it down. My other hens harass them a little at bedtime, just to ensure they know they can't have the best roosting spots. They find a spot of their own, and all is well. After a week or two, they're roosting in-between the bigger hens.

How small?
Hmm did you get my answer? I don’t see it. My coop is only 6’ x6’, with 2 6’ roosting bars and 4 nest boxes. The pullet is inside the coop. I did try to put her up with the others last night, but even the mama hen pecked at her. So I leave her be for a bit until she’s bigger and it’s not so hot out. They are all a bit cranky at the moment

If she is in, don't worry about it. Let them all work it out. The urge to roost is pretty strong. I have several 10 week pullets, and once in a while, I see one on the roost, but a lot of times they are not there yet.

Hmm did you get my answer? I don’t see it. My coop is only 6’ x6’, with 2 6’ roosting bars and 4 nest boxes. The pullet is inside the coop. I did try to put her up with the others last night, but even the mama hen pecked at her. So I leave her be for a bit until she’s bigger and it’s not so hot out. They are all a bit cranky at the moment
A bit tight for 11 birds...adding a single is the hardest integration of all, even if the new chick was raised by a broody.

Back
Top Bottom