A huge hawk is terrorizing my chickens!!!

Hawk-proof chicken run?
My chicken coop has a 30' x 30' run enclosed by a 6' chain link fence. With three Australian Shepherds in the backyard I thought my little 5-hen flock well protected until I saw large red-tailed hawks circling overhead. The small runs in the back have netting, but the front run is too large. My husband and I ran lightweight rope from the peak of the roof to the top of the chain link fence with spacing about 18" apart. We're hoping that this will keep the hawks from flying in to get the chickens because the girls love their big grassy run. I would include a picture but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have had a hawk eat 2 of my chanteclers winter of 08 they were full size large birds, the hawk couldn't fly away with them so ate them right there and flew away then came back the next day for another snack.

We have not had a hawk casualty since putting netting over the run

How horrible! I hope our scheme works. I don't think a hawk can fly in or out. We have a huge population of bunnies again this year so I'm hoping the hawks will find that easier game than our chickens.

I just lost my first hen to a hawk yesterday (poor Fifi). I never really thought it would happen because they're with the horses. Now I know better.
But I do remember a friend telling me he had a hawk dive bomb his run, and bounced off the top of the run onto the ground, dazed. And he has two german shepherds! So be sure your netting over the top will withstand that kind of impact, or at least entangle the hawk long enough to allow the hens to escape.

Also, another friend told me a hawk went into her coop, and she actually had to rescue the darn hawk from being attacked by her roosters. Was that a freak event or will roosters really protect the flock? I know nothing about them except that my mum insists they are loud and mean. Since the barn's at her place, I need to respect her wishes. Is there such a thing as the "strong silent type" rooster?

hu.gif
I suppose a hawk could hit the ropes and fall through, but he would have to flap his wings to fly out and so he would be trapped in there. I understand that hawks are really hunting this time of year because they are feeding their babies. I'm hoping they won't be so desperate that they would trap themselves in my run. Also, the ropes are very visible, unlike fishing line, so with their visual acuity I don't think they would do it by mistake.

Do you have hawks in your neighborhood? I guess then it's likely.
Also, I was just told by a neighbor that there is a golden eagle living in our town center. He/she could have been the culprit.

I do live on a farm, but we have big red-tailed hawks that are agressive hunters. I'm sure they would not hesitate to come into a backyard if they saw something they wanted that was unprotected. We're hoping that our new system will discourage them.
35804_hawk-proof_coop_007.jpg

Quote:
My neighbor asked me permission to shoot a pair of hawks on my property yesterday, as they had killed their Chihuahua. I didn't ask if they carried it off or just killed it on the ground but he was devastated AND mad as heck! Said he's afraid they will kill the other Chi when she's out to potty in the yard (she's certainly not an outside dog). We always worried about the owls here even though our dog was 8 lbs. I have no doubt a hawk would kill a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom