A late morning visitor

Per owl-cation site, it depends on the size of the owl, & how quick the guineas notice him. An owl can't carry off anything that weighs more than it does, so a GHO (4#) could easily take a standard guinea (3#) but probably not a jumbo (5-7#). BUT since goons are gonna goon & try to run instead of fly, if the owl doesn't sense a threat, he's willing to dine in rather than having carry out.
Oddly enough, not one of those guineas is looking up at him. I've watched mine one eye planes going over so high that they're silent.

Wow! Great pictures!!! R2elk has said the GHOs killed his first guinea flock, but I think that was at night, roosting in trees. I wonder how effective an owl would be at taking them during the day when the guineas can see them well.... Thanks for sharing your striking pics!
I could definitely see them killing guineas at night. In fact I’m surprised I haven’t lost any guineas. A week ago 10 of my new guineas spent the night in the tree by their coop. We did everything to try and get them down, but it was already too dark by the time I realized they weren’t coming down on their own. It was a rough night. No one slept good. But thankfully all 10 were just fine come sunrise and they haven’t tried staying the night out since.
Per owl-cation site, it depends on the size of the owl, & how quick the guineas notice him. An owl can't carry off anything that weighs more than it does, so a GHO (4#) could easily take a standard guinea (3#) but probably not a jumbo (5-7#). BUT since goons are gonna goon & try to run instead of fly, if the owl doesn't sense a threat, he's willing to dine in rather than having carry out.
Oddly enough, not one of those guineas is looking up at him. I've watched mine one eye planes going over so high that they're silent.
They were looking at him and the crows when I first came over. Once I was there they didn’t pay any attention to the owl. In fact they followed me even closer to it🤦‍♀️ That’s when I started walking them away.
I too have seen the group eye plans so high up I can hardly see them. Or bald eagles that disappear as they turn and glide way up there.

I feel bad that they had to spend today locked up. I figured Maybe, **maybe** I’d let them out once it left. But, he is still there. Perhaps he has given up hunting for the day or is just waiting to see if my birds come back out.
He will be disappointed if he’s waiting for my birds. They will be locked up all day tomorrow due to rain and snow.

I could definitely see them killing guineas at night. In fact I’m surprised I haven’t lost any guineas. A week ago 10 of my new guineas spent the night in the tree by their coop. We did everything to try and get them down, but it was already too dark by the time I realized they weren’t coming down on their own. It was a rough night. No one slept good. But thankfully all 10 were just fine come sunrise and they haven’t tried staying the night out since.

They were looking at him and the crows when I first came over. Once I was there they didn’t pay any attention to the owl. In fact they followed me even closer to it🤦‍♀️ That’s when I started walking them away.
I too have seen the group eye plans so high up I can hardly see them. Or bald eagles that disappear as they turn and glide way up there.

I feel bad that they had to spend today locked up. I figured Maybe, **maybe** I’d let them out once it left. But, he is still there. Perhaps he has given up hunting for the day or is just waiting to see if my birds come back out.
He will be disappointed if he’s waiting for my birds. They will be locked up all day tomorrow due to rain and snow.
I always look to see where everyone is..brrr snow still?! I'm so glad to be done with that one week. Lol

Your owl looks a little put out to me. I wonder if something kicked him out of his usual daytime roosting spot and he’s just wishing he could sleep...

I always look to see where everyone is..brrr snow still?! I'm so glad to be done with that one week. Lol
I’m hoping this will be the last of it. I’m don’t with snow for the year. Haha.
Your owl looks a little put out to me. I wonder if something kicked him out of his usual daytime roosting spot and he’s just wishing he could sleep...
It could be that the crows were bothering him too much to move for a while, but I don’t understand why he didn’t find a better place to nap. The wind has been blowing hard all day and he’s out in the open. The crows left, so...... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Really awesome pics of the GHO. My guess is he/she is young and is so hungry is hunting during the day. Probably weighing up you birds, since eating on the ground is dangerous for them(other predators). Hopefully she finds a rabbit or some mice and leaves your birds alone.
Thanks! I hope so! We do have a lot more rabbits around now and I wouldn’t mind it taking a couple😉

The owl was still there
Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

Such a grumpy pants! Nice pictures though.

I was letting my dogs out and could hear my guineas off behind the house in the trees. I could also hear crows making a racket. I walked back to see what was going on and to my surprise an owl took flight and landed in a tree above my ranging birds!
The turkeys were with the guineas at the time and I’m wondering if maybe that was their saving grace. The owl was not at all bothered by my presence.
Here you can barely see him up in the tree in the middle of the picture. I was calling the guineas and turkeys away so I could lock them up. View attachment 2569604
I was able to call my son out to bring my camera to me. I snapped a few pictures and then locked up the birds. The owl was still there when I was done, so I took the opportunity to get some practice with my zoom lens. View attachment 2569605View attachment 2569606View attachment 2569607
I’m really shocked the pictures didn’t turn out a blurry mess. It was so windy and I was using my big lens with no tripod. My arms got tired fast!
We can hear owls at night from time to time, but we rarely see them. I’m definitely going to be on guard for a while.
Wonderful pics. I always thought owls were strictly nocturnal until I had one in the tree by the run an hour after daylight. He was also not afraid of me- very scary- glad my hens were ok- they stayed under the coop

Back
Top Bottom