A List Of Things To Have For Chicks (Great for first time chicken owners)

I paid the extra dollar for the vaccination shot when I placed my order with MyPetChicken (doesn't ship till July 15th). Do I need to start them with medicated as you suggest or non-medicated b/c of their "vaccination" shots?
Thanks for any help

Called MyPetChicken. They offer Merek's vaccination so medicated feed is still advised. If anyone else wants to know.
wink.png

Sorry, I did not see that you had posted on the thread!!!

Yes, you can get the vaccine AND use medicated feed. Medicated feed will not prevent Mareks!!! only Cocci.

There is also a cocci vaccine. It's my understanding that if your birds get the vaccine for cocci that it is better NOT to give them medicated feed because the medication in the feed will nullify the effects of the vaccine.

So I was reading the link on toxic plants (new to chickens. Mine will be shipped in a couple weeks. Trying to learn as much as I can by then)...and it lists Apples...? Really?! Growing up I remember grandma throwing apple cores into the chicken pen all the time. And when living with my sister I remember her doing the same thing...in fact she threw onion skins too... The point is I don't remember their chickens ever being sick...so I'm a little confused. Help?
Tomatoes too???

Last edited:
I am not really sure on the credibility of that list anymore...
I feed my chickens apples and tomatoes... I have thrown onions in my compost but they never touch them.
I worry more about flowers that I have planted poisoning them.

My chicks are doing GREAT!

I was tending to one of the chicks last night and low and behold, one flew the brooder LOL. I hollered at my cat and the cat went one way, and the chick another, thank God! So here I am chasing a chick, with one in hand and hollering at the cat!!! They are 2 weeks and 4 days from hatch! Caught the wayward chick in my "kitchen" and the cat watched all the antics and had a ball watching only!!!

Feathering out nice, wing and tail, and starting body feathers! I have the first coat of paint on the inside of the coop but the floor is taking longer to set than the walls. Not sure why, prolly the constant rain we are having!!!

This flock really needs to be in their house!!!! I have 4' by 4' brooder box I built but it's only 2' high..so they can fly out easily!!! They have a little roost too and LOVE it!!! I found one or two that can fly up onto the water container, so even easier access to the rest of my cabin!!!

They are making quite a ruckus right now playing keep away with a different colored piece of shaving
gig.gif

They no longer need the added heat or light and atleast sleep all night, but that also means they are up all day with NO naps! They are BR's from a hatchery, Hoffman, so maybe because they are cold hardy they grow faster?! and need less light, plus it is summer
wink.png

I tried taking pictures of them, but they aren't coming out very clear!

They look so funny with all those feathers growing in!!! They had their first treat of boiled egg and chick grit yesterday and loved it...I hand fed that one last night some grit as I wasn't sure she got any when I put the platter in...they sure are getting big and it worked out fine! She got enough, after me being patient long enough for her to settle and finally eat it out of my hand!!!

Dry paint dry!!!! The chicks need to fly!!!
bow.gif

Thanks for the list, a great bunch of links too!

Back
Top Bottom