A little break from the bitter cold

Pics
Well snow blowing on them sounds hard to handle! I wish I had made mine go into the coop during the worst of our weather - that might have helped. SOB has lost most of his points on his comb. The remaining tissue looks smooth and heathy, so that’s good. It is so weird to see that smooth comb though! He did have a beautiful comb. His daddy, Bloody Larry, has his points still but it looks like some will fall off soon. Fabio is still waiting for his to drop. The boys with the most pea comb like comb fared the best - I don’t see damage to them. The guy, Green Legs, with the more modified pea comb sustained damage though.
Aw, despite the smooth comb he looks really handsome! The pea combs do look really good. I wish I would have taken comb size into consideration before getting chickens😐
Glad to see your boys are healing up😊

Hello everyone, I have 2 out my 6 that are 8 months. They have problem had it for a month. It is their tips of their feet. They are limping and lifting their feet. I found this picture that looks pretty similar my guinea will not let me hold them. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 97770534-5A19-4BF8-BC09-6DDF3F9EB906.jpeg
    97770534-5A19-4BF8-BC09-6DDF3F9EB906.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
Wait until your guineas are roosting for the evening. Calmly approach from behind wearing gloves and w/a towel, scoop and swaddle the bird, covering the head. You want to gently but firmly keep the wings down, and just as gently but firmly get ahold of the feet so that the feet are in the hand of the arm craddling the bird, leaving one hand free to tend to the feet.
I'm not sure if that's bumblefoot or another infection, but the tx is going to be the same and you can go abt it different ways.
You can stand the bird in a tub of warm water with epsom salts or soapy water to clean them, or you can use a cloth to wash them. In my opinion, the tub is easier.
Once clean, dry the feet and apply neosporin or vetercyn, etc.
Whether you opt to dress the areas or not is a personal choice. If it's no worse than what you show in pic, I'd leave it open. It's not a one and done thing; good way to acclimate them to being handled...maybe..😉
Beyond that, making sure their coop and roost is cleaned, you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom