A little confused on whether or not to vaccinate

akaruby

Songster
Mar 28, 2015
Southern Tier, NY
I currently have 6 chicks from TSC, which told me that they are vaccinated against Marek's. I'm looking into getting another chick locally. This person got the chick from McMurray's Hatchery, where he had them vaccinated against Marek's and coccidiosis. The chick has also been around ducks that he got from TSC. My question is whether I should vaccinate my chicks for coccidiosis?

I would not do the additional vaccine. I did read somewhere about NOT feeding medicated starter feed if the chicks were vaccinated for coccidiosis.
I would research that if you are using medicated and have the new one perhaps needing a different feed.

It is true that medicated feed will negate the vaccine. However, I think keeping them separate for the sake if different feed is cruel and will ultimately be a tougher integration. I personally would put them with the other chicks on medicated feed and not vaccinate the original 6.

It is true that medicated feed will negate the vaccine. However, I think keeping them separate for the sake if different feed is cruel and will ultimately be a tougher integration. I personally would put them with the other chicks on medicated feed and not vaccinate the original 6.

Good info there. I did not recall why not to feed the medicated. If it will only negate the vaccine then no problem.
The other option would be to feed them all nonmedicated but that means taking a risk of coccidiosis with the non vaccinated chicks.

Uh your supposed to vaccinate chick's? I just saw this. I'm new to having Chick's I have 4 chick's and 2 ducks and feeding them un medicated food. They are 25 days old what vaccines should I get them O.O

The vaccine is most commonly for mereks disease and needs to be given if desired as close to hatch as possible. 25 days old it would do no good. The coccidiosis vaccine is fairly new but since you are feeding medicated feed you do not need it.

I chose vaccinated (for Mereks) chicks since I live close to a lake and have a LOT of wild birds traveling through my yard.

To sum it up I do not think you need to vaccinate for anything at this point.

Babs

The vaccine for mareks' sis iffy for two reasons:

First, there are multiple strains in the environment, so the vaccine may not be for what is in your area...
Second, the vaccine is found to just keep the worst symptoms at bay for a while, and the disease may still cause death at a later date.

The best thing, in my opinion, is to get birds from locally raised parents who have been exposed to and survived whatever diseases are present in your area. Natural immunities are better than vaccines...

Back
Top Bottom