A Little Confused

calebk

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I have five Rhode Island Reds that we handled a lot when we first got them to try and get them used to us being around, and they were very mild-mannered and liked to be around us. They are now three or four weeks old and will sometimes run from me or not come even when I call them anymore.
What really bothered me is this: tonight I have them in a new (to them) coop and I was having to pick them up one by one and show them the ramp and how to get into the coop. For some reason they would not come to me when I called them and when I tried grabbing them a couple of them ran away. I am trying to have slow movements and, as previously stated, they were handled a lot for the first week or two that we had them so I figured they are used to it by now. What really bothered me was that one of them even started pecking me. Now it was late at night and I had my flashlight out, but I always come out with my light when closing them in for the night and I was talking in a calm voice.

What could be the issue here?

Ikta just a part of them growing up. They don't necessarily see you as a mom any more and instead may be scared you're a threat due to the size difference
Yeah mine were like angels the first 2 months then they just started getting skittish Rhode Island reds arent a naturally friendly breed they are just neutral also If they peck you they might think your fingers are worms

Yeah mine were like angels the first 2 months then they just started getting skittish Rhode Island reds arent a naturally friendly breed they are just neutral also If they peck you they might think your fingers are worms

From everything I've read people say they are one of the friendliest breeds though....and also I hand feed them and the way it pecked me was different than trying to get food but almost like an attack if that makes any sense.

I don't pick mine up too often anymore. They dont like it. They do all come running to me when I go out there but prefer not to be picked up. When I check them for parasites or injuries I do it at night once theyve already gotten on their roost. They still dont like it but put up with it until I'm done.

I have five Rhode Island Reds that we handled a lot when we first got them to try and get them used to us being around, and they were very mild-mannered and liked to be around us. They are now three or four weeks old and will sometimes run from me or not come even when I call them anymore.
What really bothered me is this: tonight I have them in a new (to them) coop and I was having to pick them up one by one and show them the ramp and how to get into the coop. For some reason they would not come to me when I called them and when I tried grabbing them a couple of them ran away. I am trying to have slow movements and, as previously stated, they were handled a lot for the first week or two that we had them so I figured they are used to it by now. What really bothered me was that one of them even started pecking me. Now it was late at night and I had my flashlight out, but I always come out with my light when closing them in for the night and I was talking in a calm voice.

What could be the issue here?

Don’t take it personal. I actually had to hatch mine in the bathroom ( long story) as soon as they were a little older and in there run they ran from me. They sometimes come when I call, especially when I feed. But they will not let me pet them. Kinda hurt my feelers. But they are all grown up and beautiful. They always like to be around me, just no touching. So I don’t think there’s anything wrong. But I am sorry, it is a let down.

Well if it’s their first night in a new coop, they will be freaked out and confused about the new routine. I bet it will go much better on the second or third night. It’s not like they suddenly hate you. They are just confused. Keep on how you have been, and they will probably go back to being friendly once they are used to the new place.

Back
Top Bottom