A little experiment

Yuehonda

Chirping
Aug 22, 2018
washington state
So its that time of year, my chickens are going broody, hatching eggs and raising chicks. Well my barred Cochin just finished her motherhood duties and had started laying eggs again. I hadn't noticed until I went to check my third broody chickens eggs, unfortunately the big hen had cracked one of the eggs. This wasn't the first time I've had this happen and last time it happened pretty close to hatch and I had an incubator at the time so that chick survived and is living in the flock. This time however I do not have an incubator as my old one decided to burn up (literally) so I'm at a dilemma, I want the egg to survive but I don't have a proper place for the egg to be but, that's where I got to thinking "I have lizards" the humidity wouldn't work out for hatch but the heat would work for now and my smallest lizard wouldn't do any damage to the already damaged egg. So far its been a few days and the egg has been going strong, I'm sharing my experience here since I know I'm not the only one who has this issue and just doesn't want to give up on an egg that's going good other than the crack on it.

this is the egg in the tank. When turning it I don't let the damaged part be on the bottom.
20190624_224515.jpg

The damage
20190624_224748.jpg

Another view of the egg, I've had it in the lizard tank for roughly 4 to 5 days the chick is very active inside and moves when disturbed. It looks better than when I brought it in initially.
20190624_224852.jpg

This post is mostly just to show if it works or not and show progress. I do know I will have to figure something out come hatch time but I can safely say the tank its in is not at the required humidity as the lizard is very much a desert animal but there is a water dish which provides some humidity. I'm still newer to hatching eggs but I've seen them go through extremes and still survive so as the title says this is an experiment to see if in a pinch something like this will work.

I'm curious to know if anyone thinks it will survive or if they feel its a loss cause, either way it wont stop me from seeing how this goes but I like to know what others think on a situation.

Update
Well I wasn't sure if it would work but today the egg hatched out. The temp in the cage where the egg was sitting was about 80-90 and humidity was somewhere in the 30s and 40s. Constantly changing due to the type of lid but I didn't add more water than usual and never needed to assist the little one in hatching. I left the house then came home to find them hatched out!
20190705_164816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom