A little Halloween history

I don't celebrate Halloween either. I think the little kids costumes are really cute, but I am sorry some have turned this day into a celebration of horror and the macabre. I figure there's enough real-life horror in the world.

Quote:
Don't view it as a celebration.

View it as a mockery.

On Halloween nothing is scary, for it is all make believe. You can laugh at the monsters, poke fun at the ghosts, and call the grim reaper 'cute'. There is nothing scary in the dark on Halloween, for it's all just pretend.

I find it interesting that this holiday is not just European in origin. In Mexico the celebrate El Día de los Muertos (day of the dead) or All Souls' Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Per wikipedia:

Scholars trace the origins of the modern holiday to indigenous observances dating back thousands of years, and to an Aztec festival dedicated to a goddess called Mictecacihuatl.

Guatemalan celebrations of the Day of the Dead are highlighted by the construction and flying of giant kites in addition to the traditional visits to gravesites of ancestors

In the Philippines, the holiday is Araw ng mga Patay (Day of the Dead), Todos Los Santos or Undas (the latter two due to the fact that this holiday is celebrated on November 1, All Saints Day), and has more of a "family reunion" atmosphere

Thank you for posting this... I actually celebrated Samhain with a group of friends on Tues.. And it was amazing .. We havent gotten together for 5 years following a house fire.. So it was amazing to come together.. We also did a requiem for the children who passed away in the fire.. Blessed Samhain

Quote:

View it as a mockery.

On Halloween nothing is scary, for it is all make believe. You can laugh at the monsters, poke fun at the ghosts, and call the grim reaper 'cute'. There is nothing scary in the dark on Halloween, for it's all just pretend.

When your house is egged and you come home to find "F You" spray painted on your garage door and all over your house because you kept your porch light off and didn't hand out candy, it doesn't seem very pretend or make believe.

Quote:

View it as a mockery.

When your house is egged and you come home to find "F You" spray painted on your garage door and all over your house because you kept your porch light off and didn't hand out candy, it doesn't seem very pretend or make believe.

I am sorry to hear that that has happened to you .. But with everything their are always going to be "bad apples" in the buch .. I dont think thats a good reason to not celebrate..

Back
Top Bottom