A little help please!

Dort

Hatching
Dec 12, 2015
Yesturday, I took my duck to the vet because he has bumble-foot. I feed him some romaine lettuce around 7 and we left at 8:30 in the morning. On the way there he vomited. He has never vomited before. When he got there he was just grooming himself. He fought a lot when they were doing the check up on him. Before they gave him 2 shots in his breast area he was falling asleep. We held him tight and they gave him the shots. Back in the car we looked ok, but then threw up again 2 minutes before getting him home. When we got him home we just gave him water for 30 minutes then fed him. We left him for 1 1/2 hours with his water so we could finish paying the vet and buy him some new food and get groceries. When we get back he looked very weak. At around 12:30 am today he was still very weak so we gave him a bit of a soak and then gave him new water with some durvet solution in it. He has been drinking little by little but has not eaten much since leave him for the 1 1/2 hours. He has pooped a little bit.

The shots were antibiotics and a anti-inflammatory.

He has perked up a little bit since the soak but still won't drink much and not eat. The day before the vet visit he ate 4 cups of crumble. He doesn't like any other food other than romaine lettuce and the usual feed I give him. I have tried over the years to feed him other this with failed results. Any advice would be great. He is a pekin duck and is 3 months short of being 5 years old. The vet gave me some oral antibiotics and a solution to soak his feet in ,but I do not want to use any of that until he eats something.

He may have thrown up because he got car sick. I had a cat that got car sick pretty bad back and forth from the vets. What is the durvet solution you mentioned? is that a feed, medicine, or anti-inflammatory? If medicine, is that on top of the antibiotics? is that what the vet suggested? Just curious.

Give him the medicine that the vet prescribed whether or not he is eating. Staph is very serious.

Bumblefoot is caused by Staphylococcus bacteria so he is definitely sick and doesn't feel too well. The antibiotics and anti-inflammatories should help while his foot is being treated.

Romaine lettuce lacks sufficient nutritional value. It's better than most lettuces but feeding only that will not help his immune system because he won't be getting any necessary vitamins and minerals. Kale would be much much better if you can get him to eat it. Kale is very high in vitamins. You could add some vitamins to his drinking water such as Nutri drench and some probiotics would be very good too to replace any good bacteria that the antibiotics will destroy along with the bad bacteria.

Ideally he must eat a balanced feed. Try watering some down and make a warm (not hot) duck food "soup" and see if he'll eat some that way.

We have been fighting his bumblefoot for a year. Been using topical applications. Durvet is vitamins and supplements. I give him lettuce 3 times a week it was his time for some his he likes it. Warm duck food soup? I might try some kale. how about some apple cider vinegar? I used the water solution soak like instructed and one of his scabs fell off. He started eating alittle bit of his crumble which is better than none. Also is drinking water too.

We have been fighting his bumblefoot for a year. Been using topical applications. Durvet is vitamins and supplements. I give him lettuce 3 times a week it was his time for some his he likes it. Warm duck food soup? I might try some kale. how about some apple cider vinegar? I used the water solution soak like instructed and one of his scabs fell off. He started eating alittle bit of his crumble which is better than none. Also is drinking water too.

4 cups of feed right before a car ride was probably too much. 4 cups of feed period for one duck seems too much. And I have Muscovy that are big ducks too. lol
Warm duck soup may go over since he'll be able to drink it. Some will like it others don't so just try a small amount.
Soaking his foot in the solution the vet gave should really help. Keep him on as clean of bedding as you can that will help too. Make sure he gets his antibiotics as prescribed too just like Free Spirit says this stuff can be deadly. Bless you heart for taking him in and getting help sometimes it is just beyond our control to get it cleared up. What is in the soak solution? If your adding his antibiotics to his drinking water I would hold off on the ACV till after he is done.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing and wishing you the best as you care for him. @Dort

Last edited:
4 cups of feed right before a car ride was probably too much. 4 cups of feed period for one duck seems too much. And I have Muscovy that are big ducks too. lol
Warm duck soup may go over since he'll be able to drink it. Some will like it others don't so just try a small amount.
Soaking his foot in the solution the vet gave should really help. Keep him on as clean of bedding as you can that will help too. Make sure he gets his antibiotics as prescribed too just like Free Spirit says this stuff can be deadly. Bless you heart for taking him in and getting help sometimes it is just beyond our control to get it cleared up. What is in the soak solution? If your adding his antibiotics to his drinking water I would hold off on the ACV till after he is done.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing and wishing you the best as you care for him. @Dort
I actually had him since he was 3 days old. I got him with a little rhode island chicken. They always stayed together till the chicken passed away. Then it was just him and me. I never really knew about bumblefoot till I saw it on his webbed feet. So for the past year we have been putting stuff like green goo from sierra farms and vetericyn on his bumbles. I didn't give him 4 cups of feed before a card ride lol I only gave a bit of romaine lettuce. I know better now I will make sure he has an empty stomach before a car ride and to make sure his appointments are very early in the morning. The solution for the water is Nolvasan Solution 8oz. Says on the prescribed bottle to have him soak 4 times a day for 5 mins each time. 1 tablespoon to a bowl of water. Still I am worried because a scab fell off after one soak.

I actually had him since he was 3 days old. I got him with a little rhode island chicken. They always stayed together till the chicken passed away. Then it was just him and me. I never really knew about bumblefoot till I saw it on his webbed feet. So for the past year we have been putting stuff like green goo from sierra farms and vetericyn on his bumbles. I didn't give him 4 cups of feed before a card ride lol I only gave a bit of romaine lettuce. I know better now I will make sure he has an empty stomach before a car ride and to make sure his appointments are very early in the morning. The solution for the water is Nolvasan Solution 8oz. Says on the prescribed bottle to have him soak 4 times a day for 5 mins each time. 1 tablespoon to a bowl of water. Still I am worried because a scab fell off after one soak.
It's okay if the scab falls off just keep it clean as possible,that is the purpose of the soaks to loosen the scabs so they fall off then the bumble it suppose to heal quicker. Here is what I have found works well with bumble for those of us who don't have a vet who will see poultry We soak in warm Epsom salt water then dry the foot and put clear iodine over the scab, I use a qtip to get it on real good. Then you can wrap the foot to keep it clean or just keep inside and change towels often. Or keep him on clean shaving inside. I have only had to treat 2 chickens with bumble though not any of my water fowl yet. Easy to wrap a chickens foot.

It's such a blessing to hear of someone who has raised a single duck and has had him for 5 yrs you are doing a great job. My oldest is going on 12 yrs now. Hope you have yours that long or longer.
Does he seem to have perked up now that the trauma of the car ride and vet is over?

It's okay if the scab falls off just keep it clean as possible,that is the purpose of the soaks to loosen the scabs so they fall off then the bumble it suppose to heal quicker. Here is what I have found works well with bumble for those of us who don't have a vet who will see poultry We soak in warm Epsom salt water then dry the foot and put clear iodine over the scab, I use a qtip to get it on real good. Then you can wrap the foot to keep it clean or just keep inside and change towels often. Or keep him on clean shaving inside. I have only had to treat 2 chickens with bumble though not any of my water fowl yet. Easy to wrap a chickens foot.

It's such a blessing to hear of someone who has raised a single duck and has had him for 5 yrs you are doing a great job. My oldest is going on 12 yrs now. Hope you have yours that long or longer.
Does he seem to have perked up now that the trauma of the car ride and vet is over?
He has perked up, he doesn't eat as much as before the car ride and vet visit but something is better than nothing. He is slowly becoming the poop king he was before as well. I am still scared for and of him because when he gets out of the water solution he kicks. Gets on the bottom of his breast and underside and I've done some research on the stuff. At the vet he fought too much, he doesn't like the single light in the dark (they needed to check his eyes). I think he was just really tired and sore is all. I also can't wrap his leg, I'm all alone and I missed my chance when he was all weak and tired. He is almost back at full strength and he kicks very hard. During the day he walks around the house and at night he sleeps in a very large plastic container. He can't sleep outside due to raccoons being all over the area.

Sometimes medication will reduce a duck's appetite - they can feel queasy just like we can.

Keep trying things, I think ducks know when we are trying to help them, even when they are not cooperating.

Have you tried a probiotic? You can get a powder to add to water.

He has perked up, he doesn't eat as much as before the car ride and vet visit but something is better than nothing. He is slowly becoming the poop king he was before as well. I am still scared for and of him because when he gets out of the water solution he kicks. Gets on the bottom of his breast and underside and I've done some research on the stuff. At the vet he fought too much, he doesn't like the single light in the dark (they needed to check his eyes). I think he was just really tired and sore is all. I also can't wrap his leg, I'm all alone and I missed my chance when he was all weak and tired. He is almost back at full strength and he kicks very hard. During the day he walks around the house and at night he sleeps in a very large plastic container. He can't sleep outside due to raccoons being all over the area.
If he is in the house then not wrapping is fine. I doubt there is much you can do about it getting on his body but maybe using a towel to lay him on will help absorb some of the solution. And glad to hear he is eating again. like Amiga says meds can cause them to not feel much like eating too and probiotic will help. I'm sure the vet visit was stressful for him he just needed a little time to get over it. What's his name?
Thanks for update.

If he is in the house then not wrapping is fine. I doubt there is much you can do about it getting on his body but maybe using a towel to lay him on will help absorb some of the solution. And glad to hear he is eating again. like Amiga says meds can cause them to not feel much like eating too and probiotic will help. I'm sure the vet visit was stressful for him he just needed a little time to get over it. What's his name?
Thanks for update.
His name is ted, I am going to order some probiotics today. Would it be too much if the crumble also provided pre and probiotics?

Back
Top Bottom