A little help please

Nekatlla

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
I decided to let one of my hens go broody, Sunday we started to get hatchlings, today mama and babys jumped the nest and were down running around and learning, I moved the remaining eggs down and one egg broke open a little chick didn't make it, the mother hen wont go back on the nest, she just keeps running around with the little ones. What should Ido? just leave it for tonight and hope she goes back on? or is she done and should I move them to an incubator for the last few days? Will she take them back if I move them in? or will I have baby chicks to take care of until they are 6 weeks old?
~Thanks!

I would candle the eggs first to see if they are still viable. If they are, put them in an incubator. When the chicks are hatched and dry, slip them under the mother at night when she and her chicks are sleeping. Watch and make sure she doesn't attack them, it she wakes up.

I would candle the eggs first to see if they are still viable. If they are, put them in an incubator. When the chicks are hatched and dry, slip them under the mother at night when she and her chicks are sleeping. Watch and make sure she doesn't attack them, it she wakes up.
Thank you I will give it a try....

Saved one by candleing, had 3 that looked viable 1 hatched so far I waited a day then stuck it under the mother last night, she took to it and all is good!
Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom