A Little Pecking Order Question

Sheepy

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Next spring, (It just may be a little early to be thinking about this
smile.png
) we are planning on getting many chicks. So far, the idea is that we will get 10 Red Sex-Link Hens for eggs, and then 10 pullets of my choice for my 4h shows.
big_smile.png
I think I'm going to get mainly bantams. Now the question is, will the bigger red sex link hens pick on the smaller bantams, even if they're raised up together? I have red sex links now, and we added a few adult speckled sussex hens, and they get picked on a lot. We want to keep my future bantams in good shape, so I have a good chance of winning! So will they get picked on? They need to be in tip top shape!

Last edited:
I have heard that sometimes the bantams do get picked on by the bigger ones. I think it would be best not to mix them but maybe someone with more experience with it can tell you different.

I'm skeptical bantams will have show quality feathers and combs if kept with standard chickens, red sex links even more so. If your getting rid of your current reds and starting fresh next spring why not standard birds that are good layers AND can be 4-H show quality?

Co-habitation is definitely possible. But bantams will always be at the bottom of the order. That is my experience, hens, no rooster.

Yeah, we are getting rid of the reds. The problem with getting good egg layers is that our fair doesn't have a class for em. We're thinking now that we're gonna not get bantams (we can never make up our minds!) Instead, more birds like Standard Sized Cochin and Polish hens, and then wyandottes and rocks. Hopefully they'll get along better that way?

Back
Top Bottom