a little story of my first broody hen experience (pics)

I have a hen it is a blue copper maran and I have had to block her out of the coop after all the other eggs are collected because she will sit on an empty nest. i have been doing this for about 4 days. I have a nice size cage in my garage that she can be moved to. I think I may try and let her set. Thank you for you experience. I may try and move her and give her some eggs to set. I tried this before but the other hen that went broody ate the eggs after a week of setting on them. I think I will put her in the cage that way I can get food and water close to her because right now she is in a metal nest box hanging on the wall and she never gets off that is why I started closing the nest boxes so she would get some food and water, putting her in a cage the food and water would be right there for her.
Thanks for your story! My broody would jump right back on and sit on an empty nest after I would take her off to gather the eggs. All my hens lay in the same nest and won't lay in another that look just the same. So the hens would all be sitting on top of her laying their egg to where it dropped down in behind her....had 3 in the nest at a time for 3 days when I had the second hen want to go broody. It's funny how sometimes I catch them waiting in line for their turn to lay...lol. So I put the wanting to go broody real bad hen by herself. She ate very little the whole time sitting, but like you mentioned....food and water were right by her. With a failed hatch, all the time just not wanting to get off the nest and a successful hatch...she was sitting on a nest everyday for 60 or more days. I still think she went broody because she hated the roosters starting to breed. She took that WAY harder than the rest of the hens. I'm probably wrong, but it sure seemed liked she figured out real quick that they didn't bother her on the nest....
big_smile.png
. She's fine with it now, but hated it again real bad when I put her back in with the rest of the flock, but didn't sit on the nest. Hopefully she'll do it again.

That's crazy your other hen ate the eggs! Good Luck to you if you try to hatch some out with this hen. It's real neat watching the baby chicks with a hen!!!

Too cute! I love your story. It makes me want to go put eggs under my broody right now! Lol. So adorable!

Too cute! I love your story. It makes me want to go put eggs under my broody right now! Lol. So adorable!

Thanks! The pics of the chicks might of pulled it along......cause I suck at telling stories and probably didn't do anything that happened justice....might have to hire my next story out.....lol. I just checked out all your chickens pics....very nice!

That is so cool :) I am hoping some of the BO chicks I will be getting will brood once they are all grown up, I can't wait!!!!!!

Thanks! I can't wait to have BO....(long pause)....ah nevermind....how immature of me....lol. That's awesome you're getting chicks! I hope you get a broody! I just ordered chicks to be delivered the first of April and had 2 BO put in there....can't wait to get them!

She has 11 eggs under her. Hope they all hatch. They are due Valentines day. I didn't think she would set if I moved her and touched the eggs but she did. I kind of wanted to brake her so I could keep getting eggs. Oh well, she is setting and we will have to see how this goes. Lets hope for the best.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that in here! She looks like she'll be a great momma! I thought the same thing when I moved my hens eggs. I don't know much about the blue copper maran's, but she looks like a real pretty bird and I like that body style she has. Hopefully it goes well for ya and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes! Neat thing happening there!

If my hen doesn't go back to being broody on her own or any other one doesn't, I might see if she'll do it again if I set it up for her to after more time has passed and has little more time off. I've noticed the last few nights, that if she or a hen lays late, she's sitting on that egg at night when I shut them up instead of on the roost, but easily just goes to roost at the moment....just started that. I have chicks coming, but gotta go through this again!

I just found one of my chickens sitting on a nest in the garage with 2 eggs in it...
Didn't realize she was sitting on eggs til I tried to move her...Sometimes a chicken doesn't make it to the coop when it is time to roost, and I find them downstairs in the garage under the coop...so I was just going to carry her back upstairs like normal...but oh no...eggs. I hope she goes back to the eggs, or should I move her small clutch into the coop? I want her to sit on the eggs, and it seems we are in the beginning stages so what do I do? Or should I just act like I never saw her nest and leave her be if she even goes back to the nest?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom