a little story of my first broody hen experience (pics)

THEY ARE ALMOST HERE!!!! I CAN HEAR THEM PEEPING!!! I CAN'T WAIT I WILL CHECK IN A COUPLE HOURS WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!

THAT'S AWESOME!
wee.gif

THAT IS MORE AWESOME!!!!
wee.gif
and a
woot.gif
. The wait is over and ya got some babies! Congrats to you and your good broody hen! You have some lil' cuties under momma there! I'm jealous...
big_smile.png
. I hope the rest made it out alright!

I got my first broody! She has been sitting for approx. 6 days I am going to attempt candling them tonight or tomorrow night and see if any are growing!
I am very excited about it. However I have created a bit of a problem.....I went and got 6 chicks from TSC 3 weeks before she went broody
barnie.gif
And now she is sitting 6 eggs. I cant keep anymore than 6 more females because of the size of my coop. So I guess I will have to pick 6 females to keep and sell the rest??? i am planning on butchering the roosters. Which will also be my first processing so I am a little nervous about that as well.

I got my first broody! She has been sitting for approx. 6 days I am going to attempt candling them tonight or tomorrow night and see if any are growing!
I am very excited about it. However I have created a bit of a problem.....I went and got 6 chicks from TSC 3 weeks before she went broody
barnie.gif
And now she is sitting 6 eggs. I cant keep anymore than 6 more females because of the size of my coop. So I guess I will have to pick 6 females to keep and sell the rest??? i am planning on butchering the roosters. Which will also be my first processing so I am a little nervous about that as well.

Congrats on the broody! I hope it all goes well for you! I hear ya on the hen max number limit. I wish they weren't so neat to have around...
lol.png

Yeah....
hide.gif
....I just butchered my first ever roosters.....the two that I raised that are part of this thread.....RIR/Barred Rock crosses. I hunt and fish, but still had a hard time attempting it. It brought back harmony to the coop and was needed. The meat tasted so great, that I am not really looking forward to doing the butchering part again per say, but will have a lot less of a problem next time. The meat seems to taste so much better and it was a really gratifying experience to eat something I raised when it was all said and done. I have 31 meat birds coming April 1st because of all this to try.....and won't mind getting roo's from hatching out eggs now.

Good luck on the broody!

Thank You SO much! I am glad to hear I am not the only one! I am such a WIMP!
tongue.gif
I have come to the realization that if I am going to keep chickens, I will have to butcher some...or my flock will suffer! So I am resolved at this point to cull all roos. As I already have a very good, well behaved roo in the hen house. So all others MUST go! (trying to talk myself into it!
roll.png
) Although I can't wait to taste the difference and get over the first experience!
I did candle tonight, with some black construction paper wrapped around the flashlight, to hopefully constrict the light, I did not see anything. Any info ??
is appreciated! They are brown eggs if that makes any difference??

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish everything to do with caring for and managing animals was all pancakes and sunshine....lol. I'm going to give the stuff I am going to eat the best home I can while they are here just like the rest and just roll with it.

On the candling....I didn't candle the second batch of eggs that the hen hatched at all. I did try it on the first. I didn't see anything either, but thinking back I might of grabbed all unfertilized eggs to do it. I didn't candle every one and there were 8 of the 10 that were unfertilized. ??? So I'm no help with the candling....lol.

I was reading up on it awhile ago and found this helpful.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 ...if you haven't seen it already. There's info on candling on down the page a ways.

I wish I knew more to help ya! ....and someday I will be more knowledgeable on it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom