A little stressed... Day21/22 and still NOTHING! HELP!

ChickenRookieFMVA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
I have 11 eggs in an incubator. The eggs were started March 22 in the AM. It is now April 12 (Day 21 or 22) and still nothing. The bator has ran a a good 99.5 the majority of the time droping a 1/2 degree at night sometimes. The humidity has stayed at a good rate as well but still nothing.

I candled on Thursday Day 17 and saw good movement, air sacs and blood vessels. Which was very exciting. Took off Turners and locked down on Friday.

I am ringing my hands with what is going on, Why nothing?

When should I lose hope?

I would give them another 24 hours or so. If your temps are a little low (maybe the thermometer is off) then it will take a little longer for them to hatch.

According to when you set them you are at day 21 today. Chicken eggs hatch from 21-23 days. Like KellyHM said, if the incubator is on cool side they take longer to hatch. I had set some eggs on March 21. My hatch date was April 11. I had one incubator hatch a day early and the other incubator started the hatch late on day 21 and still hatching on day 22 (today). I would wait in till day 23 at least.

Yes, I raised humidity with sponges on Lock down day but the humidity shot to high like 95% in a matter of 15-30 minutes. I quickly vented and took sponges out to get to a good humidity. Yesterday I added a sponge through the top vent and filled the bottom water area to the top. I am at 70% humidity and still a steady 99.5 temp

It is at a school and in a styrofoam still air bator so I have battled it out with regulating temperatures and humidity. During the day I look through plastic at temp and humidity every hour. (I feel like a mother hen.. lol..) due to the kids in and out and room temperature going up a down. I am trying to be optimistic since the temp has run a little low each night.

I was just so excited with the movement on DAY 17.

Have read alot of people saying can hatch up to day 24... That gives a little hope.

SO ANXIOUS!
Actually had a contest to see who could go the longest me or the students without looking at the eggs...

Thanks for all your coments so far I am feeling like I might be able to sleep tonight....lol...
Just Praying I have some pips in the morning.

I will keep you posted though.

Last edited:
? I am not sure. It is one of my students eggs and bator they had temperture marked on thermometer. I could be wrong on the kind of bator. I am a newbie at this.

? I dunno? They are at the school and I am home worrying. The farrmer told me 99.5 was important. I don't rmember seeing a fan but I have tried to only open when candling for a couple secs at a time. I dunno that the temperture knob is ultra sensitive. A lil bity nudge can shoot either way in mins. I have spent a lotta time over that temp gauge.

They are very successful farmers so I must have what ever kind is 99.5. Sorry I dunno more this has been a very big learning experience for me I have worn this site and google out the past 21 days. Bless the chicken farmer down the hall too I am sure she is more than ready for them to hatch... lol...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom