1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A lurker for over three years coming out!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by r4eboxer, Oct 28, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Hello all,
    I have been lurking, learning, drooling, laughing, and crying on this site for three years. I started learning about the different breeds and getting my lists together for when I finally became a chicken mamma. Well in August I became the proud momma to 3 RIR, 3 EE, 3 PR hens and 1 PR rooster.

I am the wife of one of the best hard working men on the planet , mother to 4 boys age 24, 21, 16 and 11, 2 Lhasa Apso lap dogs, 3 bunnies, 6 fish, 1 guinea pig, 7 hens and a goat that thinks she is a dog. I work full time as a Database Manager and full time taxi driver to my two younger boys. Oh I put in two large gardens and can most of our veggies.

We are just beginning to homestead on 30 acres of land with a large pond, a creek running through the south end of the property and a stream going from the top of the north hill into the larger creek at the bottom. I feel so lucky to have this land and want to do the best with it. This spring we are really going to step up the homesteading with the addition of a dairy cow, 2 pigs (1 for the freezer and 1 to breed) at least 2 additional goats and possibly a few sheep. I will order turkey pullets as soon as they are available and geese too.

My chicks have grown over the past three months and were free ranging most of the day and cooped up at night, well I have come out of lurkdom because I lost my roo and two of my favorite hens last night to my own dog of all things. He was never bothered by the chickens at all and never chased them once in all those three months and last evening while I was at the grocery store he played too hard with my babies. I really liked the roo and one of the EE he killed had slate legs so I figured she would have given me some green/blue eggs. So sad to be set back.

I do have 16 more chicks on the way and 6 ducks. They are suppose to arrive the week of Nov 7th. Since I lost my chicks I have stepped up my search for a Great Pyr and found a fantastic breeder that hopes to place a 2 1/2 yr old female and a 6 month old male with me. I am a little leery of jumping in to both dogs and will be checking out my fencing options. I have so much I want to say about these dogs but will do so in another thread. Since I am coming out of lurkdom I may not be able to be shut up now. tee hee

I feel like I know many of you who post often here. I have learned so much by just sitting back and "listening" to you all. Thanks for the wonderful information and opportunity to learn from all your experience.

See ya on the boards.[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum, finally!

I'm sorry to hear you lost a couple of chickens to your dog. Unfortunately, it is not all that unusual. It sounds like you have a great place for fowl and animals of all sorts!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you finally joined [​IMG]

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcom to BYC I'm so glad you finally became a member. [​IMG] I love the breeds you picked. I just became a chicken owner 4 weeks ago. I love it. [​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    welcome...[​IMG]

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Better late than never...welcome! [​IMG]

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm so glad you finally joined in! [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC, from California! I cannot imagine what shape my chickens would be in had I not found BYC!! I bet you've discovered - during your lurking - that BYC is the best place to come to learn how to do things correctly, and the best place to come to fix the things you didn't do right because you didn't check BYC first. Plus the members are wonderful folks and I now have great and glorious friends I have never met (and some I have) to commiserate with me, cheer with me, and laugh with me about poultry matters.

Your homestead sounds wonderful. I'm sorry you discovered your dog isn't trustworthy when unsupervised; I had to learn that about one of my own dogs, an elderly miniature dachshund. Who knew?!?!?!

If I had more than two-thirds of an acre, I'd surely consider a Great Pyranees. Nobody respects my two wiener dogs! I may just rescue a medium-sized dog from a shelter....

Hope you continue to enjoy BYC as you participate in the forums. (Be careful, it's addictive!)

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by