A lust for flesh?

You've overcomplicated their diet, and need to simplify. Here we have a 20% protein, balanced all flock feed (Purina Flock Raiser) that is very fresh at my local feed stores, and I have oyster shell separately for the laying hens. You've added so many things to their daily ration, there's no way of knowing how unbalanced it might be! Point of lay pullets aren't adults yet and need a grower or all flock ration, with oyster shell on the side. Period. Then extras are extra, and 10% or less of their ration. Also, pay attention to the date on the feed bags, because some vitamins deteriorate ove a very short time. Then, size of coop, hiding places available, all important. Finally, having no experience with any of your hybrid layer types, I've found that the hybrid layers I've tried here have tended to be pretty bossy and willing to peck flockmates, more than the heritage breed types I now have. Try Sussex!!! I love my Speckled Sussex, such social birds! Mary

Agree, details would help but what I can think is they may not have enough protein in their diet
X2
Change their diet to high protein one, but keep oyster shell in a container for them all the time.
Starter chick crumbs is the highest in protein content
It helps if you hang up things to distract them like cabbage or carrots

Last edited:
I wasn't getting updates on this thread. I'm so sorry!

My coop is 4 x 5 x 5 (l, w, h) in feet. With lots of roosts.

My diet is convoluted, but only since reading about needing more protein on BYC! Hence the egg, worms, etc.

Had no idea about growers pellets! The main feather pecker culprit has been identified as the Chalkhill Blue, who lays 4 blue eggs a week, like clockwork.

Should she really be on growers, instead of layers?

Would you suggest that I mix growers in with the layers?

Many thanks for your help.

Cleo.
xxx

4x5 is way too tight for 8 birds....so you could be dealing with crowding stress, can make them vicious.

You could mix the some of the layer with the grower until the layer is gone instead of just chucking it out...still should have oyster shells available separately.

How odd.... The coop is sold as a 12/15 bird coop. I researched it before buying, and the uk rule of thumb seems to be 2 sq ft per large bird (Keeping Chickens For Dummies - I certainly qualify, so it seems!), I'm a bit gutted that the coop is way too tight :(

They do have access to oyster shell all day.

I've just doubled their run space. They now have well over 100 sq ft. All pecking has stopped except for one bird - maybe she's just a bad-***** feather-pecker?

As an aside, did you know that pinless peepers are illegal, here? They seem to work for so many people on BYC, but I still don't know if they're humane, or not. Your input would be very helpful, indeed.

I even booked the feather-pecker in at the vet to have her beak tip clipped, but this seemed even more inhumane, so I cancelled.

xxxx

Manufacturers claim for population quantities are always about double what is truly reasonable in real life......you're not the first to be tripped up on that one.
2sqft is commercial factory farm style space.. ....the 4sqft that is oft cited in the backyard chicken communities can also prove to be crowded.

The extra run space will help while the weather is mild...... but best try and find a way to enlarge coop, sooner/better.

Not an option, I'm afraid. Gardens in the uk, particularly in newly-built properties like mine, tend be extremely meagre, sadly.

I'll have to look into purchasing an additional coop.

Many thanks for your help.

xxx

This is true.

I think relocating the one that is feather-pecking might be an idea. The others get along perfectly, now.

Many thanks for your input.

Xxx

Back
Top Bottom