A must-read for infections! Durvet, Duramycin, Tetracycline or Oxytetracycline INJECTIONS

Just found this thread in a Google search. Hoping you can help. I have a Cochin bantam rooster with upper respiratory infection. Stores are all closed or sold out of Tylan. I have a friend with a dairy farm that says he has tetracycline for injection. Can I give this to the rooster and if so how much and how often? Thanks!
Which tetracycline is it and how much does he weigh?

-Kathy

I have no idea how much he weighs and I don't have a good scale. I would guess no more than 5lbs. He's a full grown Banty

Have some bunnies with snuffles caused by stress from the drastic weather changes... Does anyone know what the Duramycin dosage would be for 4 and 5 pound adult rabbits and if injectable or oral would be best? Also, what would be a good probiotic to give in conjunction with the antibiotic? I know snuffles only goes into remission and is not curable, but these guys are new and I plan to give them a fighting chance.

Thanks.

Have some bunnies with snuffles caused by stress from the drastic weather changes... Does anyone know what the Duramycin dosage would be for 4 and 5 pound adult rabbits and if injectable or oral would be best? Also, what would be a good probiotic to give in conjunction with the antibiotic? I know snuffles only goes into remission and is not curable, but these guys are new and I plan to give them a fighting chance.

Thanks.
I know nothing about rabbits. Is there any chance you could have a vet look at them?

I know nothing about rabbits. Is there any chance you could have a vet look at them?

I'd prefer not to if I can help it, and will be calling Monday to double check dosage if I have to wait till then. What they have is highly contagious and can not be fully cured, only placed into remission. As much as we love our rabbits, I will not risk the health and safety of others by taking them off our property. In all honesty, I am probably one of a few that would treat them instead of euthanizing since they will have to be treated and isolated the rest of their lives. The local vets also do not deal with rabbits much, so I would need to go several hours away which would be stressful and detrimental to their immune systems. Its something I have dealt with many times in the past, I just cant remember the dosage and hoped someone had a copy of the book to look it up in. The vet I used to work with was in a different state and was a good country vet that probably passed on years ago. Its been that long since I've had to treat rabbits for their current condition. The frustrating thing with rabbits is that most of the antibiotics used are not rabbit specific. Some can even kill them or cause secondary reactions that are fatal, which is why good rabbit vets are important.

On a brighter note, I started treating them with food/herbs yesterday and they are already responding well. As long as it works, I'd prefer to skip the antibiotics anyway, and they have a better prognoses than if their systems wernt fighting it on their own. The goal is to have them, the dosage schedule, and probiotics on hand just in case its necessary.

Google "rabbit formulary tetracycline". What is the nsme of this disease they have, and have you considered using Baytril?

I have a 4 week old Ayam Cemani chick that has eye infections in both eyes. I found this and picked up a bottle from tractor supply. I had been using a warm compress and AAA ointment twice a day and the swelling has definitely gone down. I see the doses for poultry, but I am just wondering what would be recommended for such a new/young chick.

Back
Top Bottom