A mysterious history of chickens from the sea.

Do you think Chicken breeds from South America and islands of the Pacific/Oceania should have their

• Yes. If Mediterranean breeds have one, why shouldn't they?

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. Exhibition breeding is a waste of time anyway.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Haven't thought about it much. What's the point?

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • You mean there's more than one chicken from this hemisphere?

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Just like with landrace type birds, wouldn't having a standard for them take away from what makes them unique? People would cross them more than they already have done and try for new colors and the like. On the plus side, trying to get them standardized might make them more popular.

I notice you didn't specifically mention breed class as in a breed class in the standard of perfection though. Do you mean a breed class as in classification with breed conservancy type places?

Also, since you have more knowledge of the breed than many people, what color would you say the kirikirimiro is in normal 'chicken talk'? The first article/book is pretty interesting, thank you for posting a link

Just like with landrace type birds, wouldn't having a standard for them take away from what makes them unique? People would cross them more than they already have done and try for new colors and the like. On the plus side, trying to get them standardized might make them more popular.

I notice you didn't specifically mention breed class as in a breed class in the standard of perfection though. Do you mean a breed class as in classification with breed conservancy type places?

Yeah standards are more arbitrary than helpful. I don't think popularity is necessary- but appreciation of cultural treasure seems to be worth something.
I do mean a breed class as in classification within breed conservancy.

I am not sure of a 'normal' poultry name for it. I know I have gotten the color when I cross blacks and goldens. Does the last bird have some junglefowl in him? These are the kind of color that when bred to blacks will throw some brassy blacks and when bred to wild type color, will throw wild type color. Wish I could help more

Back
Top Bottom