A near 100% perfect hatch on shipped eggs!

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
The last 24 hours were just amazing for me. After 3 years of hatching shipped eggs with mixed results.....I hit a near 100% hatch today and want to crow about that!
thumbsup.gif

Out of 18 eggs shipped to me in NYC during our horrific cold weather and snow storms this past month...I set them with my fingers crossed on 1/1/11. Who woulda thought? Not me when the weather hit like it did. But being in a new home I was eggcited bout starting my new flock so went for it.

I'd love to think that the combined efforts between myself and the wonderful breeder/shipper I purchased my eggs from.... did the job.
bow.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee

So keep the faith people, it happens when the planets all align and we all do what we are supposed to do.
clap.gif
Maybe????
hu.gif

I just know I am a happy chicky momma tonight for sure.
love.gif
No matter how it came about.

Wishing you all awesome hatches and healthy peeps throughout this New Year.
hugs.gif

Maggie..... living her dream in NYC

celebrate.gif
clap.gif
Congratulations!! Don't you love those?!

I've gotten 15 shipped eggs plenty of times and had only ONE fail to hatch or even be fertile. . . . Those are the times that are just plain awesome.
smile.png

woot.gif

Quote:
OK, herews the story!
Got eggs shipped from "bigdawg" out in Tenn. During a bad cold snap so of course I was worried. No heat packs were used. Received my well packaged, 12 RIR & 6 Light Brahma eggs all safe & sound within 2 days.
I let them rest for bout 10 hours to come to room temp.
I had 2 incubators set up for these & other eggs I was setting.
First was a Hovabator with the fan unit. Second a Brower top hatch with fan as well. I made the top hatch a blanket to stabilize the temps better and both were good to go.
I was the automatic egg turner.
wink.png

I placed these eggs in both the bators.
14386_top_hatch_cover.jpg

I keep my humidity about 40-45 up until the 18th day. Then raise it using wet sponges or face cloths set in the sides of the incubators. Keeps it nice and humid, specially during winter months when that water tray dries out really fast.

18th day lockdown. Gathered up all the eggs that were set for lockdown, and placed them together in the hova bator for the hatch. Still have a top hatch full of more eggs for 2 more staggered hatches.

Mine started to hatch out early on the 21st day, right on target. I am still pinching myself that all but 1 hatched out. And the one who didn't make it, did fully form so I do not know why it quit before piping.

I have 1 gimpy who is now wearing a taped support on her spraddle leg to keep it under her. She is already better this morning.

Now they are in a small brooder this morning in which I watch for 24 hours for any problems. While I will build a larger one today for them to grow out in.

I'd simply say it is a small miracle, everything just pulled together and BAM.
celebrate.gif

14386_hatch2.jpg

14386_hatch1.jpg

Yeah! That is great! Gives me hope that I can start getting better hatches from shipped eggs.

Hey! Is that my old Brower Top Hatch that you bought from me! If so...I am so glad it is working good!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom