A New Begining (With lots of pictures)

LustyWriter09

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
New Mexico
Exactly that.

It was the one weekend that I wasn't there. That my dad watched over my flock. Then we had quite the windy storm that blew us away. The wind had been so strong that it blew open the door via the air condictioned water back wall. My flock of ducks and chickens had gotten attacked by dogs on October 15th, 2014. All I had left of my 6 ducks was 1 female duck named Emilin. Which I almost couldn't find. And out of my 3 bantams and 5 chickens was 2 bantams and 2 chickens left. One of the chickens was a rooster and the other a hen. They must have jumped onto the metal frame of the greenhouse. And the last two bantams were hens also. One of them had gone outside and jumped onto the roof of the other greenhouse and I had called her down. After she jumped down I picked her up and quickly closed the door with all of my flock back inside. Had to hold Emilin for quite a while for her to stop shaking. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry in relief or sadness and just sit there. And that is exactly what I did. All of it. And those sweet hearts had stayed nearby in their mutual shock.

At first Emilin had gone broody a week and a half later. But she wouldn't sit on the eggs till there was 25-30 eggs. For some reason that had really bothered my large hen, Ruby. As she had been acting completely mean to her. Chasing Emilin off all the time. It got to the point that I had to move the food farther away for Emilin so that she could eat. Though I took some of her eggs and replaced them with the majority of fake eggs. The ones I took didn't make it in the incubator.

Several months later and finally getting Emilin and the others to eat what they normally ate before the attack.

They all still wondered around in a partial daze of loss and Emilin still hadn't gone swiming. But at least I got her to perk up at bit.

Then I got two ducklings on March 1st. Found out they were tuffed ducklings. One is a brown and the other one is blue and white. Here are the first fictures I took of them. -

Shortly after on March 2nd my bantam Minx had gone broody.
Then on March 4th I had gotten a few chicks.
1 Road Island Red rooster, 1 Cornish, and 4 mixed bantams.

When they were a little bit biger, I brough all of them to the green house, and into the fenced in area I made. I wish you could have seen them. ALL of the survivors from the dog attack greeted them with a happy/relieved chirp and call. Emilin even went straight to the fence hesitantly. Almost like she didn't know what she was seeing. Letting out a sweet toon. And she didn't take her eyes off the ducks for a long time. I could have sworn that she was crying when the two ducks were chattering in excitement.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of Minx 8 days after she had gone broody.

I made sure to put food inside the medium sized dog carrier and water on the gate door to it. She still didnt eat or drink from it till day15. Though she did sneak out to nibble on a little bit and get water out there.

The most funny thing was that she started to steal the other bantam Jinx's eggs, and Ruby's eggs, and brought them to her nest.
The little egg thief!

March 10th, 2015

Emilin finally started to play in the water! Thanks to the new ducklings.

And the little ones are growning very well.

And my also new two guinea since Febuary 2015 are guarding the green house and the chickens and ducks like a charm-

Here are the origional survivors!

Ruby

She had gotten her name, because her feathers had, had a red tint. But then she had her first molt and went lighter. Not sure what breed she is though. I had gotten her by this Mexican family that couldn't take care of her and her deceased sister Rainbow. She is only sweet if there is a flock of 5-6 birds. Otherwise she had glared, ignored, or completely acted like I was never there.

This is Roo. Don't know why but the nut is very finicky if I pick him up. Even if I used to hold him all the time!

Minx and Jinx before:

Emilin

She has come a long way from hiding like that. Minx and Jinx actually stayed very close to her. Still do mostly.

Last edited:
Minx and Jinx are beautiful! What breed are they?

Thank you!

A D'Anver is 'rose combed' and 'clean legged'
And
A D'Uccle is 'single combed' and 'feather legged'
They both are feather legged and the single comb.
So I guess they are D'Uccle's lol I had gotten them with one other out of a bin as mixed bantams with 2 plymouth rocks and 1 road island who turned into that rooster. All from Tractor Supply and on Easter of 2014 to boot!
I believe they might have the resesive blue gene because of their deep/light blue feather coloring. From what I can tell the baby chicks have splashed coloring of mostly blue, cream, and even red; with only a little white. Eh... Almost reminds me of mille'flours.
^-^' haven't been able to update picture of the eggs that have hatched since March 26. Because I dont really have internet where I'm at.

The baby chicks are adorable! Here is todays pic, March 29, 2015. 2 out of 3 normal sized chicken eggs and 6 bantam eggs hatched. All sired by Roo my standard Rhode Island Red rooster. Don't worry I paid Close attention so that he wouldn't hurt my bantam hens.

Nice to hear your flock is getting back to normal- hope the future is very bright for you and them. I have days where I hide like Emilin, so I can sympathize with her.

Back
Top Bottom