A new chicken mama and a new BYC member!

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
BYC has been my lifeline these past few days. I just finished up my first ever hatch
jumpy.gif
(got 8 out of 12 total, pretty happy with

that!) so of course I had days like this
barnie.gif
this
he.gif
and this
hit.gif

My boyfriend is the type of person that is super laid back, so nothing stresses him out. I, on the other hand, am the opposite
tongue.png
Anytime

I had a question or concern, needed advice or help, or just needed support and a virtual hug, BYC was there for me. Since this was my

first hatch, I of course freaked out about every little thing, and without the care and wisdom of the chicken lovers on this forum, I think I

would've ripped my hair out somewhere along the way. I will never again google any chicken-related question, I know that if I want a

reliable, professional, FAST opinion, to come straight here! The kind people here were able to almost instantly turn my worry and

anxiety around, and I really can't express my appreciation for that. Thank you so much every one of you!!
thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif
clap.gif

Now I am officially a surrogate chicken mama to 8 little chicks, who are a product of our red-sex link rooster (Rocky) and 2 of our RIR

hens (Goldie and an unnamed hen).

I look forward to watching them grow and develop their own little personalities. I'm also the mama to 2 vietnamese potbellied pigs

(Mama Pig & Hammy), 1 black silkie (Mama Silkie; her two 'sisters' were killed by possums a few weeks ago
hit.gif
), another RIR hen who

refuses to lay even though she is over a year old
roll.png
, a house cat, and a 10 year old leopard gecko! I'm in school studing to

become a RVT (Registered Vet Tech) here in Indiana, and my goal is to be as self-sufficient here on the farm, as well as in life. I'm ready

for spring, because my 900 sq. ft. garden plot is calling me!

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me in the past,
bow.gif
and thanks in advance to all you posters that will help me in the future
big_smile.png

For all you other 'new eggs',
welcome-byc.gif
... you're gonna LOVE it here!!!
love.gif

Hannah
frow.gif

Quote:
ask and you shall receive! the pics are b&w or sepia.. my phone doesn't have a flash & the infrared lights make the pics look bad
sad.png

these babies needed a little quarentine time since they both had wounds. we put them together once the blood had dried and i was able to clean the wounds & apply some blu-kote. luckily they've not pecked each other & i'll probably introduced them into general pop in a day or so
smile.png
the first chick was very lonely, so we gave her this monkey to cuddle with. now she has a friend but they both love the monkey!
83702_2011-04-08_13_09_30.jpg

this is a pic my boyfriend took as soon as he put the monkey in with our lonely peep. she practically sprinted over to it and accepted it as her mother immediately. my heart melted!
love.gif
i love how she is gazing up at the monkey. so cute!
83702_chick_and_monkey.jpeg

here's a pic of our set-up.. there is an old window screen to keep the injured peeps seperate, but they can still interact with each other. hopefully this makes introducing them a seamless event.
83702_2011-04-08_13_18_49.jpg

a few randoms of the peeps
jumpy.gif

83702_2011-04-08_13_09_23.jpg

83702_2011-04-08_13_09_14.jpg

83702_chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom