A New Gun

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
Now that we have chickens, the next step is their protection. The new coop and run are built like a fort and I'm sure that even a black bear would have a hard time getting in. It is TIGHT.

My brother, who lives around the corner, recently lost all 11 of his birds to a weasel and now it is after his coy fish in his pond. He has been shooting at the weasel all week. It's fast.

Anyway, I thought it might be prudent to get a gun since we have so many predators in the neighborhood. We have coons, great horned owls, fisher cats, foxes, possums, skunks, black bears and coyotes. My hubby is teaching me how to use the gun.......ex marine. We purchased a 22 long semi automatic rifle by Ruger. We just took it over to my brother's house to tune in the siting. It works great and I can hit the target bullseye at 50 yards. I will have to practice for a while until I get used to it. I hope I will never have to use it, but if the girls are threatened, you bet I will protect them.
cool.png

Glad to hear your prepared. Ive never had to dispatch a predator but no eventually it will probably happen.

Glad to hear you are armed and ready. I wouldnt shoot a bear with the 22 rifle as you are just likely too make him real mad. Good luck

I have had the Ruger 10-22 rifle mounted with a scope for quite some time and I think that it is the best gun by far for the money. I find that I can shoot a rat at 50 yards every time. As for bears, we have them here, and there is no way that I would shoot a bear and especially NOT with a 22.

We can't shoot at predators so easily up here in MA, but if I needed to "remove" a predator I wouldn't count on my aiming skills, as much as a 12 gauge shotgun with birdshot in it. If I am even close whatever is near will not come back... Unless it is the IRS or something...

Just remember that many of your predators are also protected by game laws and such. Particularly the Owls. Just be careful when you make the decision and only point the gun at something you're willing to kill. Once the bullet leaves, it can never be taken back.

Quote:
Congrats on the new gun. Everyone who owns chickens needs a gun and a TRAP. Predators seldom anounce their presence and they don`t show up when you are looking for them. Sneaky is their trademark. Your best use of your gun is to dispatch a trapped predator. Good luck and have fun........Pop

The Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle. Rugged, reliable, Easy to operate, handle and hit targets with. Handling is modeled after the M1 Carbine of WWII fame. Many accessories available for it too.

That being said, you need a shotgun too. Most predators won't hang around for you to shoot them. Not to brag, but I've got the CMP medals to prove it, I'm a world class marksman and a running fox at 50 yards is a darn tough target to dispatch cleanly even with 10 rapid fire shots. For farm protection, I reach for the Ithaca 12ga pump with #4 shot. A 20 or 16 guage will do just as well, I just have a 12 for hunting too. That's enough to take down up to a coyote to 50 yards and gives lots of margin for error on runners. If I had bears around, I'd add a box of plain old lead slugs to my grab and go ammo pile just in case. Still keep the .22 with CB rounds inside the barn for any indoor pests (don't want to ventilate the walls with the big 12). Now you've got an excuse to get another gun. Christmas is coming!!! I'd recommend a used mossberg 500 or Rem 870 pump 12 or 20 guage as a basic, low cost farm gun that will do fine service for small game hunting also and if anyone ever tries to invade your home, it'll help persuade them they've got the wrong house. You can get a pretty rough looking one, there's not much to break down on them. Should be able to find one for under $200 at a gunshow.

I hope your hubby doesn't know you refer to him as an ex-marine. They'll tell you there's no such thing!!!

Last edited:
Cheap way to get a weasel!
Cut two tennisball sized holes in the side near the bottom on opposite sides of a five gallon pale, next place a foot hold trap on the ground where you think the little weasel is coming from. On the outside or inside of coop or run.
Sprinkle some canned cat food sardines or what ever on or near the trap.
Flip the bucket over and place over the trap. You can place a weight of some sort on top of the bucket to keep your other barn yard critters from getting accidentally trapped. Easy!

What happens is the weasel jumps up into the holes now near the top of the bucket
To investigate the good smells hops down onto the trap and well you know the rest of the story!

No need to be a good shot or be there to see the culprit .
And you won't trap your dog or cat because the trap is covered and weighted.

I am unsure of the legality in your areas...but l&m sell these kind of traps for a couple bucks

So good luck

Back
Top Bottom